This easy taco casserole with ground beef, tater tots, refried beans, and lots of cheese will be your new favorite weeknight dinner! This recipe is easy, delicious, and something everyone will love.
Easy Taco Casserole Recipe
Casseroles are the easiest way to get dinner on the table, and this taco casserole is a quick favorite. What’s better than eating tacos with a fork?
This recipe is filled with ground beef, tater tots, refried beans, cheese, and more. And you can make it your own by choosing your favorite toppings to finish things off.
This taco tater tot casserole is easy to prepare and will be ready in under an hour. Best of all, the kids will love it, with no complaints!
Why you’ll love this Taco Casserole recipe:
How to make Taco Casserole (Kid Friendly!)
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a 9×13 baking dish.
- Heat a large skillet and cook the ground beef with the diced onions. Then mix in the taco seasoning and tomatoes.
- To assemble the casserole: Spread refried beans over the bottom of the baking dish, then arrange the tater tots (still frozen) in a single layer, spread the meat mixture, and then cover with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes covered, then uncover and bake another 10-15 minutes.
- Finish off with any toppings, serve hot, and enjoy!
What toppings should I use?
If you want a crunch, top with crushed up tortilla chips, leftover taco shells, Frito’s, Dorito’s, etc. Use whatever you have on hand.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, you can easily prepare or partially prepare this taco casserole ahead of time if needed.
A simple thing to do is to make the ground beef mixture ahead of time and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to make the casserole. That alone will cut down on prep time.
Another option is to make it a freezer meal. Fully prepare the casserole (without toppings), and freeze until you’re ready to bake. Then you’ll just need to defrost and/or increase the baking time.
Can I use something besides ground beef?
I love using ground beef in this taco casserole, but you can certainly use another type of meat if you prefer. Shredded chicken makes a great substitute!
You could also use ground chicken or ground turkey for the same texture and consistency.
- To cut down on prep time, cook the ground beef the night before and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to prepare the casserole.
- Make your own taco seasoning mix if you don’t have any packets on hand.
- To store leftovers, cover the baking dish with plastic wrap, or scoop casserole into airtight containers, and refrigerate up to 3 days.
More Taco Recipes we Love
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!