Nothing screams Summer grilling season like Grilled Tequila Lime Chicken! Flavorful, cheesy, and simple. This copycat Applebee’s recipe is SO FLAVORFUL. Grill season here we come!
This easy grilled chicken is a perfect main dish for summer but you can really eat it any time of the year by also grilling it indoors. The secret to Tequila Lime Chicken (besides the tequila marinade…can’t go wrong with that!) is the three cheese ranch.
Hidden under that colby jack is a layer of three cheese ranch ready to knock your socks off.
Oh yes, it’s a summer BBQ miracle!
Why this is so good
- Succulent, perfectly grilled chicken.
- A delicious and fresh citrus lime marinade.
- Brushed in an addictive three cheese ranch sauce.
- Perfect for summer BBQ’s
- Chicken Breast – boneless and skinless. Ideally opt for organic/free range.
- Tequila – I love Camarena, it’s smooth and adds a lovely, subtle smokiness.
- Fruit Juice – fresh lime and orange juice.
- Garlic – minced.
- Lime Seasoning Blend – I like Fiesta Lime Seasoning Blend. But you can make your own with 1 tps. Paprika, 1 tsp. cumin, and 1 tsp. salt.
- Cheese – I like Ultra Thin Colby Jack Cheese.
- Ranch Dressing – 3 Cheese Ranch from Kraft is great.
How to Make Tequila Lime Chicken
Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on a hot grill (outdoor or indoor works). Grill on each side for 8-10 minutes.
Brush the chicken with the ranch dressing and a slice of cheese then allow to melt before removing for the heat and serving.
Why marinade chicken?
Marinating the chicken is super important and it’s what takes this chicken to the next level. Marinading the chicken is well worth it not only does it add a ton of flavor but it helps keep the chicken juicy and tender!
If you have time I always recommend to marinate the chicken for 6-8 hours or overnight but you can leave it for 2 hours if you’re pushed for time.
To make the marinade put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix together. Add the chicken breasts to a ziploc bag and add the marinade, toss to coat then seal the bag.
Place the bag of chicken in the fridge to marinate until you’re ready to grill.
How to tell chicken is cooked
If you are unsure the chicken is cooked through then you can use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature.
Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the breast and make sure it reaches 165F. If it does, it’s one and if not cook it for a few minutes longer.
What to serve with Tequila Lime Chicken
Other sides that would work well are green beans, salad, noodles or grilled veggies.
- Leave the chicken to marinate for as long as possible (overnight is best)
- Any good melting cheese will work with this recipe you could also use cheddar, gruyere or mozzarella
- If unsure if the chicken is cooked use a meat thermometer and check it reaches 165F
- Leftover chicken can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days
More Delicious Chicken Recipes You Might Like;
- Easy Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe
- Grilled Bruschetta Chicken Caprese
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Creamy Swiss Chicken Bake
Have you tried this Grilled Tequila Lime Chicken? Feel free to leave a star rating and I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!