My favorite type of moment in cooking is when the healthy meals turn out to be the tastiest. Nothing is better than finding a light recipe that is just as delicious as a fattening one! These Chicken Avocado Pitas are healthy and filling, and taste just as great if they were packed full of calories. This is one of our absolute favorite healthy summer sandwiches.
Now that the weather is finally warmer, there is no better place to be than outdoors. We recently built a deck, and I can’t wait to start using it more. (READ: Pat needs to let me buy deck furniture ASAP! hint hint…) I envision us making these Chicken Avocado Pitas, sitting out on the deck drinking Spiked Raspberry Sweet Tea, and watching Dill explore the great outdoors. (He is an indoor cat, but he LOVES being on the deck. One day he is going to make those birds pay for taunting him in the yard every day!)
These Chicken Avocado Pitas can be whipped up in a jiff, served hot or cold, and will satisfy even the pickiest crowd. I love the bright colors of the cherry tomatoes and fresh avocado. Made extra creamy with greek yogurt sauce, you don’t need to feel guilty for enjoying this so much. Healthy meets delicious! My favorite.
I hope you’re getting outside and enjoying the great weather!! This week we had a day in the 80s. WHAT? I barely remembered what that felt like. Super nice, but that’s about as hot as I want it to get. I feel like we completely skipped Spring. Whatever, Mother Nature. At least we have these Pitas to make us happy!
Be sure to check out this and lots of other recipes and party ideas on Celebrations.com! Enjoy!
Healthy and delicious Grilled Chicken and Avocado Pitas are the perfect summer sandwich!
15 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1/2 pound shredded cooked rotisserie chicken
- 2 avocados, hollowed and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 4 slices of thin baby Swiss cheese
- Juice from half a lemon
- 4 whole wheat pita pockets
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Cut 1 piece of Swiss cheese into each pita pocket.
- In a small bowl, combine Greek yogurt and garlic salt. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, combine avocado, tomatoes, lemon juice, and half of the Cilanto. Set aside. In a skillet, brown the cooked chicken with the olive oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. While cooking, sprinkle with half of the cilantro.
- Take off of heat and add 1/4 of the chicken to each pita.
- Top the chicken with a drizzle of the yogurt mixture followed by a large spoonful of the avocado mixture, all within the pita pocket. Can be served cold, or grilled on a sandwich maker/foreman grill for 2 minutes to serve warm.