Enjoy the savory taste of Crockpot Mexican Shredded Chicken. This slow cooker chicken tastes amazing on tortillas and is great to use in other recipes when preparing chicken flautas and enchiladas.
- What’s in Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken?
- Variations on Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken
- How to Store and Reheat
- How to Freeze
- Serving Suggestions
- Crockpot Mexican Shredded Chicken Recipe
- Email This Recipe
- Recommended Equipment
- Becky’s tips
- Nutrition Information
- More Mexican Chicken Recipes We Love
What’s in Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken?
Do you want to make chicken that’s full of flavor? If so, you need this recipe for Crockpot Mexican Chicken in your life. The slow cooker will do most of the work for you, leaving you with juicy, tender chicken that falls apart with ease and tastes amazing in lots of dishes.
- Chicken: I like to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but you could also use thighs.
- Taco Seasoning: Gives this chicken the perfect Mexican flavor.
- Corn: Canned corn kernels add a hint of sweetness and crunch. Feel free to substitute an equal amount of frozen or fresh corn for the canned corn.
- Black Beans: A perfect compliment to the corn.
- Salsa: Use homemade or your favorite brand of mild, medium, or hot salsa to customize the spice level.
- Lime Juice: Adds a touch of acidity.
- Cilantro: Adds herbal freshness. Feel free to swap out for parsley if you’re not a fan.
Pro Tip: For a fun twist, swap regular salsa for salsa verde!
Variations on Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken
- For juicier, darker meat shredded chicken, swap the chicken breasts for boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- For spicier shredded chicken, add cayenne pepper in with the taco seasoning or add diced jalapeños or a can of diced green chiles.
- Feel free to add extra veggies you love, like diced bell peppers or tomatoes.
Email This Recipe
Enter your email and we’ll send the recipe directly to you!
Use a crockpot that is at least 6 quarts in size for the best results.
Yes! You can oven bake this shredded chicken in a covered Dutch oven at 300°F for 90 minutes.
You can use any salsa of your choosing. Go with a brand that you know and love, or make your own. Choose a hot salsa for extra spicy chicken or a salsa verde for a unique twist.
Absolutely! Follow this quick and easy recipe and you’ll always have some on hand!
There are many easy ways to shred chicken. I usually use two forks, but you can also use meat shredding claws or even toss the meat in the bowl of a stand mixer and let it do the work for you!
How to Store and Reheat
Store leftover crockpot Mexican shredded chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave in 30-second bursts until warmed through.
How to Freeze
Freeze crockpot Mexican shredded chicken in individual portions in separate airtight containers or Ziplock bags for up to 2 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
There are so many ways to eat this Crockpot Mexican chicken! Use it to spice up any of your favorite shredded chicken recipes. Serve it over a Mexican-style salad, cilantro lime rice, or street corn pasta salad. Use it in air fryer chicken taquitos, chicken enchiladas, chicken quesadillas, or baked chicken tacos.