Three Cheese Asparagus Gratin; Asparagus under a creamy blanket of cheese. What could be better??
This Three Cheese Asparagus Gratin was originally published in October of 2015. IT’S ONE OF THE BEST SIDE DISHES EVER! It’s a must make for Thanksgiving!
Raise your hand if you love cheese. Like…LOVE CHEESE. For me…it doesn’t get better than a cheesy recipe. Pat keeps trying to tone down my cheesiness…in more ways than one…but I’ll never give it up. Give me all. the. cheese.
OTHER FAVORITE SIDE DISHES
Above are some of my fave vegetable sides on the site, especially the Skinny Mexican Street Corn and Honey Balsamic Roasted Carrots; but since I’m such a CHEESE LOVER FOR LIFE, this cheesy asparagus is probably my favorite. You just can’t go wrong! CHEESE BLANKET PLEASE!
Apart from how much I love the cheese in this recipe, I also love just how easy it is. This recipe will be on my Thanksgiving table, I guarantee that! It’s made in minutes, totally fool-proof, and sure to please. I’m going to use girl code and assume that because it’s an asparagus recipe…it’s healthy. No? Well in any case, it’s yum. You’re going to love it.
We made this last Thanksgiving and my Father in Law had asparagus (and actually loved it!) for the first time! What a success! Any day I can get someone to try my favorite veggie is a good day. Three Cheese Asparagus Gratin for the WIN!
Enjoy!!! And if anyone manufactures a cheese blanket for humans…let me know!! I’ll invest!
5 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 2 pounds thin asparagus, rinsed with ends cut off
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Sea Salt to taste
- Garlic Pepper (or regular pepper) to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the broiler on your oven. Place the rack on the top rung.
- In a large skillet, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Toss in asparagus and cook covered for 4 minutes or until fork tender. Remove asparagus and place on a nonstick baking sheet (or pre-sprayed baking sheet), in a long row. Season with sea salt and garlic pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Pour 1 cup asparagus water from the skillet into a measuring cup and discard the rest.
- In the same skillet, now empty, heat 2 tablespoons salted butter over medium heat. Add the flour and stir to combine, about 1 minute.
- Pour the asparagus water into the skillet and combine using a whisk until a thick sauce forms. About 4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the parmesan, asiago, and 1/2 cup mozzarella. Stir until creamy and fully melted.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the center of the asparagus. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella.
- Broil for 4-6 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown. Watch this step carefully to not overcook.
- Garnish with parsley if desired. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe inspired and adapted from a great staple recipe on Apron Appeal! Be sure to check out the awesome original!