This post is sponsored by Bleecker Street. All opinions are my own.
These delicious colcannon potatoes are made with kale, green onions and bacon for an easy to make Irish potato side dish. Easy to make and a perfect accompaniment to so many mains. This delicious holiday recipe, inspired by the new movie Wild Mountain Thyme, is a must make for the Christmas season.
Table of Contents
Irish Colcannon Potatoes Recipe
You can never have enough potato side dish recipes, and this creamy colcannon is a must!
I made this recipe after I was inspired by the new film, Wild Mountain Thyme (Now in theaters and at home On Demand)! The film is set in Ireland and got me thinking back to our family trip in 2008. It was one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been, and I just loved the food!!
Mashed potatoes are mixed with greens, bacon and cream for an indulgent and super tasty dish.
Make up a batch of these colcannon potatoes ASAP, you won’t regret it!
Why you’ll love this Colcannon Potatoes Recipe:
- Easy: Easy to make with a few simple ingredients, these potatoes are perfect to serve for the holidays, but easy enough for a weeknight meal.
- Make ahead: If you are planning to serve these as part of a big feast, these are a great option as they are easily made ahead of time and reheated.
- One pot: This side dish is all cooked in one pot on the stovetop.
- Delicious! If you like mashed potatoes, you will love these! Creamy, fluffy and rich, and of course….bacon!
Wild Mountain Thyme
Just seeing the trailer for Wild Mountain Thyme took me back to when my family visited Ireland after I graduated college. Such a beautiful place with wonderful people and amazing food.
The new film is the perfect escape in 2020. You can watch in theaters or at home On Demand NOW. We could all use a love story in 2020, right?
With an amazing soundtrack and huge stars like Emily Blunt, Jamie Dornan, Jon Hamm, and Christopher Walken, I know this movie is sure to be a big hit.
It got my mind going about how to incorporate a classic Irish dish into our holiday menu this year, leading me to make this Colcannon Potatoes recipe!
All the Holiday Sides
60+ Holiday Side Dish Recipes
This holiday season be sure to check out our sides guide for all the recipes PLUS tips and tricks for entertaining.
How to make colcannon potatoes
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Boil the potatoes and drain.
- Add the potatoes back to the pot with butter.
- Add the kale, season and cook.
- Stir in the green onion.
- Add the cream and mash the potatoes.
- Season, stir in the bacon and drizzle with butter.
More Mashed Potato Recipes we Love
Once you’ve tried this Colcannon Potatoes Recipe, be sure to try these other mashed potato favorites.
Can you make them ahead of time?
Colcannon potatoes are a great make ahead side dish. You can make the whole dish, let it cool to room temperature and then keep it covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To serve, gently reheat on the stovetop, stirring occassionlly until heated through.
If you have leftovers, they are great to use in dishes like Cottage Pie.
What are the best potatoes to use?
Mashed potatoes are best made with starchy potatoes. I like to use Russets and Yukon Gold do a great job too. Avoid starchy potatoes like fingerlings and red.
What do you serve them with?
These colcannon potatoes are super versatile and are great to serve with so many meals. They make a great addition to any holiday table, but they are so easy to make, you can easily serve them as part of a weeknight meal. Try them with:
- Roast Turkey
- Prime Rib Roast
- Garlic Butter Salmon
- Beef Stew
- Pineapple Ham
- Smoked Turkey Breast
- Herb Rack of Lamb
- Boil the potatoes in salted water so you add flavor to the dish right from the beginning.
- Don’t over work the potatoes, this can cause them to become gluey in texture.
- Season this dish to your taste.
More Easy Side Dishes
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!