Simple to make but so refreshing and delicious, these classic cucumber sandwiches are a delight! Made with a herb cream cheese, they are perfect for afternoon teas and lunches.
Easy Cucumber Sandwich Recipe
As soon as the weather starts to get a little warmer, I can’t resist the British tradition of a cucumber sandwich!
A dill and garlic cream cheese is spread on white bread and layered with slices of fresh cucumber. Every bite is so delicious!
Why you’ll love these Homemade Cucumber Sandwiches:
- QUICK AND EASY: It takes no more than 20 minutes to make a big batch of these sandwiches, and no cooking required!
- GREAT FOR A CROWD: These sandwiches are a great addition to any summer parties. They’re especially great for baby and bridal showers.
- SIMPLE INGREDIENTS: You just need some cream cheese, mayo, cucumber and some seasonings to make these cut sandwiches.
These are the perfect food to serve before Easter dinner, on summer afternoons, or anytime you need something simple to serve with drinks.
How to make Cucumber Sandwiches with Herby Cream Cheese
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- Mix together the cream cheese and mayonnaise and stir in the seasonings.
- Spread the cream cheese on both bread slices and add the cucumber slices to one half.
- Close the sandwich.
- Cut of the crusts and slice in half.
Can you make them ahead of time?
These sandwiches are best enjoyed in a few of hours of making them so that the bread doesn’t get soggy. If you want to make them further ahead of time, you can salt the cucumber to remove excess water.
Place the slices of cucumbers in a colander with layers of salt for 30 minutes, pat them dry with paper towel and they are ready to use.
The cream cheese spread can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Can you make them healthier?
I prefer to use full fat cream cheese and mayonnaise as they are much richer and creamier in flavor. For a healthier option you can use reduced fat.
Do you have to cut the crusts off?
It’s traditional to cut off the edges of the bread for cucumber sandwiches, but you can leave them on if you prefer. Without the crusts the sandwiches are more delicate and light.
- I find that white bread is best for these cucumber sandwiches, but you can use brown or whole grain if you prefer.
- Spread the cream cheese on both slices of the bread. This will act as a barrier to the moisture in the cucumbers so that your bread doesn’t get soggy.
- These sandwiches can be served straight away, but they are really delicious when chilled in the fridge first.
These cucumber sandwiches really do make summer for me, and you’ll always find them if I’m hosting! So simple, so easy and so classy!
More Easy Sandwich Recipes we Love
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.