Egg Drop Soup is just so comforting and cozy! This easy homemade soup recipe serves up a super satisfying bowl of deliciousness that’s packed with flavor!
Chinese Egg Drop Soup
Hearty, healthy and ‘souper’ delicious, this Chinese egg drop soup is a total crowd pleaser! Loaded with protein and low in calories, it’s great as a side or a lighter meal. Chicken broth seasoned with ginger and garlic and swimming with silky egg – it’s a classic that’ll you’ll keep coming back to!
Why You’ll Love This Easy Egg Drop Soup Recipe:
- AN EASY SOUP RECIPE: You only need a handful of kitchen staples to make this gorgeous soup. It’s all whipped up in one pot in under 30 minutes!
- A HEALTHY SOUP: Protein packed with low sodium chicken broth, this recipe is not only delicious but also healthy.
- BUDGET FRIENDLY: This comes together with minimal expense–double it up to make a big batch that’ll cost less than a restaurant serving!
This yummy egg drop soup is like a warm hug in a bowl – so satisfying and comforting!
How to Make Egg Drop Soup
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Cook your aromatics in a medium pot until garlic becomes fragrant.
- Pour your chicken broth into the pot and boil and mix in the cornstarch.
- Gradually pour in the eggs, while whisking.
- Garnish and serve!
Egg drop soup is a Chinese soup of whisked eggs in chicken broth.
Yes! Egg drop soup is a lower-calorie food packed with 15 grams of protein per serving. Making it at home means it’s a lower sodium option too.
Whisk the eggs thoroughly in a small bowl before adding to the soup. When you’re ready to add them, begin whisking the soup vigorously, then pour the eggs slowly into the soup. This will create ribbons of cooked egg, rather than clumps.
I do not recommend freezing this soup, as the eggs will become rubbery and unpleasant. You can freeze the broth by itself and add eggs after it has defrosted.
You can have this soup on its own or pair it with a main, for a delicious feast! Here’s some favorites.
This soup is pure magic, just drop in the eggs and watch silky egg noodles form in a delicious broth!
Although egg drop soup is best enjoyed the day it is made, it can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Make It A Meal
In place of cornstarch, use any of these thickeners. If you like a thinner soup, omit the cornstarch altogether.
- Arrowroot powder, tapioca starch, or rice flour: use twice as much in place of the cornstarch
- Potato starch: use the same amount in place of cornstarch
More 30 Minute Meals We Love
- Baked Ranch Chicken with Bacon
- Beef Stir Fry
- Chicken Lo Mein
- Air Fryer Cilantro Lime Salmon
- Mongolian Beef and Broccoli
Cozy, flavorful and packed with goodness, this homemade egg drop soup comes together in under 30 mins, with only a handful of inexpensive pantry staples. Serve it up as a side dish or as a main and you can easily double the recipe to make a big batch – it’s the soup that keeps on giving!
More Healthy Soup Recipes to Try:
- Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup (Crockpot)
- Crockpot Potato Soup
- Weight Watchers Cabbage Soup
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Turkey Wild Rice Soup
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!