This INSTANT POT CHILI VERDE is made in minutes, full of flavor, and sure to warm your soul this Winter. All the spice in all the right places! We love to fry tortillas and lay them at the bottom of the bowl for extra crunch and texture.
Instant Pot Chili Verde Recipe
This INSTANT POT CHILI VERDE checks all the boxes for me:
- Under 30 minutes? CHECK.
- One Pot? CHECK.
- Spicy enough but won’t melt your mouth off? CHECK.
- Perfect for chilly nights? CHECK.
It may not be the prettiest soup known to man (that color is super hard to photograph!) but it sure it extra delicious. And that’s all that really matters around here!
You guys know I love a good Tex Mex recipe. If I had to eat one type of food for the rest of my days…that would be it. And that’s why I can’t get enough of this Instant Pot Chili Verde recipe. I love the spices, the ease of cooking, the cheese…all of it!
I love a recipe that let’s you layer on all the toppings. I added cilantro, cheese, limes, tortillas…the works. That’s what makes comfort food to me.
This Instant Pot Chili Verde recipe is a quick & easy Tex Mex favorite
What is Chili Verde?
Chili Verde literally translates to green chili, but in this case, it is a Mexican-American dish you’ll find in many Tex-Mex restaurants. Chili Verde is a pork stew flavored with a mix of green peppers, like green chilis and jalapenos.
This Instant Pot Chili Verde recipe keeps to the traditional dish, but I love how much easier it is to make in an Instant Pot!
Instant Pot Recipes
The more I use the pressure cooker, the more I’m completely enamored. It’s INCREDIBLE you guys. So far I’ve used it to make Apple Pie Oatmeal, Thanksgiving Turkey (we actually made our holiday turkey in an Instant Pot and it got RAVE reviews!), Holiday Honey Baked Ham, and 5 Spice Beef Stew.
Every recipe has been a hit and has taken way less time than I could have imagined. Once you get the hang of it (which doesn’t take long at all) you’ll be hooked. I’ve linked my favorite Instant Pot below in the “shop this post” section.
Is Chili Verde spicy?
Tex-Mex is one of my favorite cuisines, and it usually includes quite a bit of spice! This recipe contains a flavorful mix of chilis, jalapenos, and Poblano peppers, so you should expect some heat.
But what I love about this Instant Pot Chili Verde recipe is that it’s just spicy enough without being too hot.
If you’re new to the Instant Pot, this Instant Pot Chili Verde recipe is a great entry recipe to try. It’s super simple and is sure to please.
We made ours a little cozier by frying up some tortillas and placing them at the bottom of each bowl. It’s the little things that make all the difference! You’re gonna love this chili verde recipe, I just know it!
Love this Instant Pot Chili Verde? Try these other Instant Pot Recipes:
- 10 Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Bruschetta
- Instant Pot Chili Mac Recipe
- Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Brisket
See the recipe card below for details on how to make this Instant Pot Chili Verde recipe. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Chili Verde
- 4 pound pork shoulder Boneless, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 to matillos quartered, husks removed
- 2 Poblano peppers seeds and stems removed, roughly chopped
- 2 Anaheim peppers seeds and stems removed, roughly chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers seed and stems removed, roughly chopped
- 1 can green chiles (4.5 ounce can)
- 1 white onion peeled and roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano optional
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Sour cream
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Cotija cheese
- Lime wedges
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté. After 1 minute, add the pork cubes, tomatillos, Poblano peppers, Anaheim peppers, jalapeno chilies, green chilies, onion, garlic, cumin, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and oregano.
- Set to manual, and cook 25 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally.
- While the Chile Verde cooks, prepare the tortillas by heating 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat in a medium skillet. Place a tortilla in the hot skillet and cook until bottom side begins to bubble and turns golden. Flip the tortilla over and heat the other side. Press the tortilla in an individual serving bowl and set aside. Repeat with one tortilla per serving. (It's a good idea to make a few extra.)
- After steam has released from the Instant Pot, transfer pork pieces to a plate, using tongs.
- Add cilantro to the remaining ingredients in the Instant Pot. Blend with an immersion blender or in a countertop blender. Season to taste with salt.
- Return pork to sauce and stir to combine.
- Ladle the chile verde into the bowls with the tortillas and garnish with chopped cilantro, dollop of sour cream, Cojita cheese and a wedge of lime.