FRENCH ONION DIP is a classic appetizer that should be present at every party. We made this dip even more fun by making it in mini bread bowls! Making bread bowls with fresh rolls is easy, and it makes the perfect appetizer for the Super Bowl. Wow your party guests with French Onion Dip inside mini bread bowls, topped with melty swiss.
French Onion Dip in Bread Bowls
French Onion Dip should make an appearance at every party. Make this delicious dip recipe inside of mini bread bowls, and you’ve really got an awesome game day appetizer!
How is the Super Bowl just a week away? How is it 2017? HOW DID THIS HAPPEN! The year is already flying by and I’m in a flurry of baking all my favorite appetizers and dips in preparation for my favorite foodie party day of the year!
Tailgating is the ultimate day for party food, and these MINI FRENCH ONION DIP BREAD BOWLS are the ultimate fun appetizer! Any football party that serves this French Onion Dip is automatically kicked up a notch, and your guests are sure to thank you from the bottom of their hearts/stomachs. Aren’t they so cute?
These little bread bowls were so easy to make with delicious bake-at-home rolls. You could change things up and make any kind of dip you like for these, but the french onion dip is definitely one of my favorites!
Make these cute Mini French Onion Dip Bread Bowls for the next game day party. A fun little appetizer that everyone will love!
Making Mini Bread Bowls
The most important part of these Mini French Onion Dip Bread Bowls is good quality bread. My absolute favorite when cooking at home is La Brea Bakery! You might know their name if you’ve ever been to their amazing stores in California (DOWNTOWN DISNEY!), but did you know you can also buy their amazing bread at your local grocery stores (and even Walmart!)?! Their Take and Bake French Dinner Rolls are my favorite bread to use as a side dish, and even in Super Bowl appetizers! You have simply got to try them!
They were the perfect size for this mini appetizer. You can fill them with any of your favorite hot dips, but I’m of course partial to this French Onion Dip! The cutest and the most delicious appetizer at any football party.
Mini French Onion Appetizers
The French Onion Dip stuffed inside these Mini Bread Bowls is loaded with caramelized onions, garlic, mozzarella, beef broth, and even a little WINE! Top it all with a slice of swiss cheese and let it all toast up together, pure bliss. It tastes JUST like the soup! I’m pretty proud of this one. I’m so glad there’s a reason to tailgate year round; although nothing tops the Super Bowl.
Pat, who HATES onions, even loved this dip. I don’t think he realized onions were in it…which says a lot about his foodie credentials. But regardless, he was a fan and I hope you are too!
How to Make French Onion Dip Bread Bowls
This little bread bowls are so easy to make, and the dip is a breeze too. Just carve out a bowl shape in the rolls, make the dip, fill it up, and serve with more bread or crackers!
- Cut off the top and hollow out each roll. Save all that bread you carved out to bake and use for dipping.
- Melt butter in a skillet, then add onions & garlic and cook for 15 minutes
- Stir in broth and wine, let it simmer and then reduce the heat
- Stir in cream cheese, sour cream, mozzarella, salt & pepper, and remove from heat
- Spoon the french onion dip mixture into each roll
- Bake mini bread bowls at 350°F for 5-6 minutes
- Place a slice of Swiss cheese on top of each bread bowl and broil for 2-3 minutes
Mini French Onion Dip Bread Bowls. Easy to make, super delicious, and absolutely adorable.
Recommended Products to make this recipe
Be sure you hop over to La Brea Bakery to find out where you can buy these Take and Bake French Dinner Rolls!
See the recipe card below for details on How to Make French Onion Dip Bread Bowls. Enjoy!
If you like this recipe, try these other delicious dip recipes too:
- Hot Onion Dip
- Cowboy Dip
- Crab Artichoke Dip in a Bread Bowl
- Mexican Street Corn Dip
- Hot Jalapeno Popper Dip
- Bacon Cheeseburger Dip
FRENCH ONION DIP is a classic appetizer that should be present at every party. We made this dip even more fun by making it in mini bread bowls! Making bread bowls with fresh rolls is easy, and it makes the perfect appetizer for the Super Bowl.
- 2 packages La Brea Take and Bake French Dinner Rolls 12 rolls total
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 slices thin swiss cheese cut in half
- pretzels for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Carefully cut the top of each roll off, about 1/2 inch down from the top. Leaving a 1/2 inch border, hollow out each roll, saving the inside and cutting into cubes. You can also cut the top of each roll into cubes. Lay the rolls on a large baking sheet as well as the cubed insides. Spray with olive oil spray or drizzle with olive oil and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic to the butter and stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until the onions are fully caramelized and translucent. (MMM THAT SMELL!)
- Add the broth and wine to the onions and stir to combine. As soon as its all simmering, reduce the heat to low.
- Stir in cream cheese, sour cream, mozzarella, and salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Spoon the onion dip mixture into each bread bowl, about 2 tablespoons per roll. The dip should be just slightly higher than the top of the opening.
- Bake uncovered for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place half a slice of swiss over the top of each bread bowl.
- Return to the oven and switch to broil. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until the swiss is bubbly and the bread is slightly browned/crisp.
- Serve immediately with the toasted bread cubes and extra pretzels for dipping.