This Italian pasta pomodoro recipe is made with fresh tomatoes and a light and flavorful sauce. Perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal and made using simple ingredients.
When it comes to a quick and easy weeknight meal the whole family will enjoy, pasta is always a good bet! This pomodoro recipe is a deliciously light pasta dish that’s ready on the table in twenty minutes.
How to Make Pasta Pomodoro
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet set over medium heat.
- Add fresh tomatoes, salt and pepper and sauté, stirring often, 1 minute.
- Then add the minced garlic, stir and cook 1 minute.
- Add broth, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, cooked pasta and chopped basil; stir often and cook 3-4 minutes or until liquid is reduced.
- Serve in individual dishes and garnish with fresh basil leaves, shaved Parmesan and grated Parmesan.
What is Pasta Pomodoro?
Pasta al pomodoro is a traditional Italian pasta dish. It is made with tomatoes, garlic and pasta and it is a light dish rather than a heavy sauced one.
It is quick to make and traditionally served with spaghetti, although you could also serve it with penne or linguine. It’s fresh, flavorful and delicious!
Is Pomodoro the Same as Marinara Sauce?
Pomodoro and marinara are both Italian tomato based sauces and they are made with similar ingredients. One of the main differences is the texture of the sauce, pomodoro is thick and smooth and marinara is runnier and chunky.
This pasta dish is great on its on, but you can also serve it with a wealth of side dishes – here’s some great ideas for you to try!
A quick and easy weeknight meal
I just love how simple and easy this homemade pasta is and it’s always a hit with the whole family. There’s no need for a jarred sauce in this recipe, so it’s lower in sugar and salt than you may normally expect. It’s pretty much all done in one pan and the flavors are so fresh.
Top Tips to Make This Pasta Pomodoro Recipe
- Cook the pasta al-dente.
- Use canned crushed tomatoes, not whole for this recipe.
- To make this dish vegetarian use a vegetable broth and omit the cheese to make it vegan.
- Serve immediately.
Be sure to check out these other easy pasta dishes!
- Classic Italian Pasta Salad Recipe
- Stuffed Shells with Meat
- Baked Spaghetti Recipe
- Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake Recipe
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad
- 4 Ingredient Pesto Rigatoni
- Easy Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe
- Chicken Florentine Pasta