Make this easy Pesto Shrimp two ways! Choose from cilantro lime pesto or basil lime pesto, or both! Plump grilled shrimp are coated in pesto for a flavorful bite. They are the perfect healthy lunch, snack or appetizer.
Grilled Pesto Shrimp Skewers
Pesto Shrimp is one of those appetizers that looks super fancy, yet takes almost no time at all to prepare. I love to make these shrimp around the holidays for Christmas buffets, but they can just as easily take center stage on a football Sunday. And as you know, I LIVE for great appetizers!
This shrimp with pesto sauce is easily made with either Basil or Cilantro, and comes together in minutes!
Why You’ll Love this Recipe:
- QUICK AND EASY: Simple to prep, you can get these grilled shrimp on the table in just 15 minutes!
- HEALTHY: Low in carbs and calories, this is a great option for a light but tasty appetizer.
- SIMPLE INGREDIENTS: Made from scratch with a few basic ingredients, there’s nothing tricky about this recipe!
These pesto shrimp skewers are so perfect in their simplicity, fresh and flavorful these are a guaranteed hit!
How to make pesto shrimp
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- Make the pesto in a food processor.
- Thread the shrimp onto a skewer.
- Brush the shrimp with the pesto.
- Grill on each side til cooked through.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you’ve never tried the shrimp and pesto combo, I beg you to rectify that immediately! Shrimp has a mild flavor and goes so well with dozens of delicious spices. But shrimp with pesto just really knocks it out of the park. This pesto sauce made from olive oil, garlic, lime juice and Parmesan cheese is perfect with either cilantro or basil. Try them both, and see which is your favorite!
If you’re craving lighter meals after the heaviness of the holidays, this is the perfect recipe for you! Shrimp is naturally low in fat and high in protein and vitamins, and the pesto sauce is made from wholesome, natural ingredients. This shrimp pesto recipe serves up big booming flavors while keeping the calorie count low.
You can make the pesto up to a week ahead of time and keep it covered in the fridge, it is also freezer friendly. You can prep the shrimp a few hours ahead of time and keep them covered in the fridge til ready to grill. For best results, serve after cooking.
I love to make a huge batch of these shrimp and serve them on skewers at game day buffets. They can really stand on their own. But you can easily serve them alongside rice, or veggies or even a salad for lunch or dinner. They’re so versatile, there’s really no wrong way to eat them.
Even my picky-eater husband loved these shrimp! Try both flavors and see which you like best!
- If using frozen shrimp, thaw them fully and pat dry before coating with the pesto.
- Remove the shells and devein the shrimp. If you like, you can keep the tails on.
- The recipe below is for cilantro lime pesto, simply swap the cilantro for fresh basil for a different flavor.
More Delicious Appetizers
From shrimp to chicken to cheesy delights, appetizers are my absolute fave! Try a few of these mouth watering recipes:
- Hot Shrimp Cocktail Dip
- Baked Blooming Onion
- Tequila Lime Tortilla Chips
- Pesto and Garlic Shrimp Bruschetta Recipe
Enjoy the vibrant, fresh flavors of these delectable little shrimp. Hope you love them as much as we do!
More Easy Seafood Recipes
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.