GOOEY BUTTER COOKIES are the perfect combination of gooey butter cake, chocolate brownies, and soft cookies! Being from St. Louis, we are big fans of gooey butter cake. It’s even better when you add chocolate and make it into cookie form! Chocolate Cake Cookies just got an upgrade. This Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies Recipe is one of my favorite Christmas cookie recipes!
Gooey Butter Cookies Recipe
Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies are a must make for any Gooey Butter Cake lover!
Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies had me at hello. Here in STL we have a favorite dessert, ooey Gooey Butter Cake! We served it at our wedding and some out of town friends were so blown away I had to ship them some a few months later.
These Gooey Butter Cookies are ooey, gooey, buttery (yep…the title works) and just oh so addicting. I love it, but I wanted to see if I loved it just as much with chocolate and in cookie form. Spoiler alert, I DO!
This CHOCOLATE GOOEY BUTTER COOKIES RECIPE is out of this world and the perfect easy (Hello, they’re made from cake mix!) baking recipe for the holidays. You can make a batch to take to work, one to take to family Christmas, and a couple to keep at home and chip away little by little.
If you’re a fan of gooey butter cake, then you’re gonna LOVE these Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies!
What we love about Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies:
These gooey butter cookies have the same great texture as Saint Louis Gooey Butter Cake, but with CHOCOLATE! I’m a huge fan of chocolate and if I have my choice, that’s what I’ll always pick. Slightly crispy outside and (you guessed it) gooey inside. Are these the ultimate Christmas cookie?! Just maybe!
If you make a dozen of these for Santa I do believe you’ll get all your hearts desires this year. No one making these lands on the naughty list. These cookies can win over anyone and everyone.
Incidentally, gooey butter cake isn’t reserved for cake and chocolate gooey butter cake cookies. Care to try a gooey butter cake martini, pumpkin gooey butter bars, or gooey caramel apple cake? We are trying to make STL proud.
Chocolate Cake Cookies – Cake Mix Cookies
Chocolate Cake Cookies are an awesome Cake Mix Cookie Recipe to make for Christmas or any celebration.
Pat and I polished off more of these than I care to admit in less time than I care to admit. Hey, we are chasing around a crawling baby. A very fast crawling baby. My iphone step counter doesn’t account for scooting across the floor at the speed of light. LOTS of calories burned around here.
I love that these Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies are made from CAKE MIX! Our Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies are one of my favorite backing hack recipes and these are just as easy and unique. A cake mix cookie recipe takes a lot of the measuring out of the equation which is great for new bakers. I want these cookies as fool-proof as possible. We are just learning around here!
Christmas Baking doesn’t have to be intimidating…it’s definitely possible to create AMAZING holiday desserts while still saving time and without being a pastry chef. I like to keep things EASY around here. I’m here to make holiday entertaining simple and still very delicious. We want to impress with the least amount of effort possible!
Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies are the type of cookie recipe that could make you famous. I hope generations from now my great great grandkids are talking about Grandma Becky’s famous Chocolate Cake Cookies! I have a feeling they will be. Brownies meets cookie meets cake. What on Earth could be better?!
See the recipe card below for details on How to make Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies. Enjoy!
Looking for more chocolate recipes?
- Chocolate Truffles
- Homemade Brownies from Scratch
- Easy French Silk Pie
- Easy S’more Cookies
- Oreo Poke Cake
- Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- Turtle Brownie Cake
GOOEY BUTTER COOKIES are the perfect combination of gooey butter cake, chocolate brownies, and soft cookies! Being from St. Louis, we are big fans of gooey butter cake. It's even better when you add chocolate and make it into cookie form! Chocolate Cake Cookies just got an upgrade. This Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies Recipe is one of my favorite Christmas cookie recipes!
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 18 ounce box Dark Chocolate Fudge Moist Chocolate Cake Mix
- ¼ teaspoon coarse or kosher salt
- 1 cup confectioner’s powdered sugar (*See Note)
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth, approximately 3 minutes.
- Mix in egg and vanilla extract.
- Add salt and cake mix and beat on medium until smooth, about 1½ minutes.
- Refrigerate dough for 1-2 hours or until batter is firm enough to roll into balls.
- When ready to bake, heat oven to 350°F and cover baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll chilled dough into 1 tablespoon sized balls and roll in confectioner’s sugar. Place cookies 2-inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 12 minutes (no longer). The cookies will look and feel a little wobbly and soft.
- Place tray on a cooling rack to cool for 2 minutes, and dust the cookies with more powdered sugar (I use a mesh strainer).
- Transfer individual cookies to the cooling rack to completely cool.
- Dust with more powdered sugar, if desired.
- *Note – If a more intense chocolate flavor is desired, mix ½ cup cocoa powder with ½ cup confectioner’s sugar for the powdered sugar coating.