I love CHOCOLATE GOOEY BUTTER CAKE COOKIES! Being from St. Louis, we are big fans of gooey butter cake. It’s even better when you add chocolate and make into cookie form! One of my favorite Christmas cookies!
Here in STL we have a favorite dessert, Gooey Butter Cake! We served it at our wedding and some out of town friends were so blown away I had to ship them some a few months later. It’s ooey, gooey, buttery (yep…the title works) and just oh so addicting. I love it, but I wanted to see if I loved it just as much with chocolate and in cookie form. Spoiler alert, I DO! These GOOEY BUTTER CAKE COOKIES are out of this world and the perfect easy (Hello, they’re made from cake mix!) baking recipe for the holidays. You can make a batch to take to work, one to take to family Christmas, and a couple to keep at home and chip away little by little.
These have the same great texture as Saint Louis Gooey Butter Cake, but with CHOCOLATE! I’m a huge fan of chocolate and if I have my choice, that’s what I’ll always pick. Slightly crispy outside and (you guessed it) gooey inside. Are these the ultimate Christmas cookie?! Just maybe! If you make a dozen of these for Santa I do believe you’ll get all your hearts desires this year. No one making these lands on the naughty list. These cookies can win over anyone and everyone.
Pat and I polished off more of these than I care to admit in less time than I care to admit. Hey, we are chasing around a crawling baby. A very fast crawling baby. My iphone step counter doesn’t account for scooting across the floor at the speed of light. LOTS of calories burned around here.
Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake Cookies for the win. Merry Christmas!
I love CHOCOLATE GOOEY BUTTER CAKE COOKIES! Being from St. Louis, we are big fans of gooey butter cake. It's even better when you add chocolate and make into cookie form! One of my favorite Christmas cookies!
15 minPrep Time
12 minCook Time
27 minTotal Time
5 based on 2 review(s)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (18 ounce) box Dark Chocolate Fudge Moist Chocolate Cake Mix
- ¼ teaspoon coarse or kosher salt
- 1 cup confectioner’s (powdered) sugar (*See Note)
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth, approximately 3 minutes.
- Mix in egg and vanilla extract.
- Add cake mix and beat on medium until smooth, about 1½ minutes.
- Refrigerate dough for 1-2 hours or until batter is firm enough to roll into balls.
- When ready to bake, heat oven to 350°F and cover baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll chilled dough into 1 tablespoon sized balls and roll in confectioner’s sugar. Place cookies 2-inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 12 minutes (no longer). The cookies will look and feel a little wobbly and soft.
- Place tray on a cooling rack to cool for 2 minutes, and dust the cookies with more powdered sugar (I use a mesh strainer).
- Transfer individual cookies to the cooling rack to completely cool.
- Dust with more powdered sugar, if desired.
- *Note – If a more intense chocolate flavor is desired, mix ½ cup cocoa powder with ½ cup confectioner’s sugar for the powdered sugar coating.
Did you make this recipe?
Never Miss a Recipe!
Subscribe to have posts delivered straight to your inbox!