This delicious and warming sweet potato chili is an easy meal that the whole family will love. Made with Italian sausage, it’s perfectly hearty and ready to serve in 45 minutes.
Sweet Potato Chili Recipe
It’s that time of the year when I just want something easy to make for dinner, but is hearty, nutritious and warm you from the inside out.
If you are looking for the same, then I have you covered with my delicious sweet potato chili!
Made with a mix of Italian sausage, fresh veggies, tomatoes, herbs and spices, it packs a punch in the flavor department!
Why you’ll love this Sweet Potato Chili Recipe:
- One Pot: I love to make chili as everything all comes together in one pot on the stovetop, making clean up a breeze.
- Make ahead: This chili is perfect for weekly meal prep and it’s a freezer friendly recipe.
- Healthy: High in protein, low in saturated fat and made with fresh veggies, you can feel good about tucking into a bowl of this chili!
How to make sweet potato chili
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Brown the sausage with the onion.
- Add in the sweet potatoes and cook so they start to soften.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender.
How do you serve it?
This sweet potato chili can easily be served by itself in a bowl with a spoon, for a lighter dinner or lunch option. You can also serve it with rice, baked potatoes, cornbread muffins or mashed potato for a fuller meal.
I kept my toppings for this chili simple, with just some fresh parsley, but you can easily add more traditional toppings like sour cream, shredded cheese, sliced avocado and diced jalapeños.
Can you make it ahead of time?
Chili is such a great make ahead dinner. I often make a big batch at the start of the week and have the leftovers a few days later.
Make up the chili, as per the recipe, then let it cool completely to room temperature. Transfer it to an airtight container and keep it in the fridge. It will keep well for up to 4 days.
Reheat the chili on the stovetop on a gentle heat, stirring occasionally, until it is heated through.
Can you freeze it?
This sweet potato chili makes for a good freezer meal. Freeze the cooled recipe in airtight containers for up to 6 months. Thaw it in the fridge overnight before reheating and serving.
- Make the chili in a Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pan. This will distribute the heat more evenly, so you won’t get hotspots that can scorch the bottom.
- Add more spice if you like! This is a pretty mild spiced chili, if you prefer things on the spicier side, add in a little cayenne and use a spicy Italian sausage.
- Add in other veggies. Mushrooms and bell peppers both work great, just add them in at the same time as the sweet potato.
Sweet potato chili (with a side of cornbread) will be the most comforting meal you make all winter!
More Chili Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chili
- Instant Pot Chili
- Cincinnati Chili
- Creamy White Chicken Chili
- Chili Verde
- Healthy Turkey Chili
- Crockpot Chili
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!