BEST EVER CHEX PARTY MIX is the ultimate holiday appetizer! Our family has this PERFECT cereal party mix in bulk every Christmas. SO ADDICTING!
THIS POST WAS ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED IN NOVEMBER 2012. IT WAS ONE OF THE FIRST RECIPES MOM MADE FOR THE COOKIE ROOKIE, BECAUSE IT IS ONE OF OUR ALL-TIME FAVORITES. I THOUGHT IT DESERVED A FACE LIFT. HOPE YOU LOVE IT AS MUCH AS WE DO!
My mom, susie, knows how to make a goooooood party mix. I actually offended her recently when I said ‘Hey we should make Grandma Gall’s party mix for the blog…the one she used to put out every Christmas’. She corrected me VERY quickly. Apparently this is SUSIE’S party mix :). I like to call it the BEST EVER CHEX PARTY MIX. It…is…really really good. It is so addicting. Ask my dad. He always gets to it first and takes all of the cashews. Bottom line is–you will love this party mix. you’ll never eat chex mix, gardettos, or any of those other varieties again. You won’t need to! It’s so easy to make at home and so much tastier. Try it to believe it!
This is another, you guessed it, simple recipe. In the pictures below you will see the main steps (It’s an OLD PICTURE, one of the first from our site. BE GENTLE :). Put all the cereal and nuts into a large bowl. In a stove-top pan, melt the butter, adding worcestershire sauce and spices. Mix well. Pour the butter mixture over the cereal, stirring to make sure that it is evenly distributed. Then you bake! THEN YOU EAT!
My mom always makes a ton of this and freezes it. She sends us home with large freezer bags of this goodness. It’s not necessarily great for the waist line but it’s really great for the soul. It’s just too delicious.
This party mix really does bring back memories of Chrismas. My mom would have it every year and we would snack on it while watching movies together, playing games, or opening presents. (Looking back on it…popcorn probably would have been the healthier alternative…) But if you ask me which one I crave, it will always be this Best Ever Chex Party Mix!
I’m really looking forward to Christmas. Hopefully i can control myself with the party mix. I know my dad won’t be able to!!
The ultimate party mix!! Use any combo of Chex/Crispix you like and/or leave out the Cheerios and substitute more Chex/Crispix. Go with what you like, but keep the ratio of cereal-to-butter/sauce mix the same. Add or delete spices to suit you and your Party Mix Munchers.
- 3 cups Crispix
- 3 cups Rice Chex
- 3 cups Honey Chex
- 1 cup Cheerios
- 1 cup Honey Nut Cheerios
- 1 cup Pretzel Fish
- 2-3 cups Whole Cashews
- 11/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter, unsalted
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 11/2 teaspoons Smoky Penzey's 4/S (Special Seasoned Sea Salt) or Spicy Penzeys 4S (Special Seasoned Salt) or 11/2 teaspoons Lowry's Seasoned Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, or to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Combine all cereals & nuts in a large bowl.
- In a stove-top pan, melt butter, add Worcestershire & salt and mix well.
- Pour the butter mixture over the cereal and gently stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Spread onto a large rimmed cookie sheet or lasagna pan - whatever pan you have that is flat and large.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes - stirring every 15 minutes until it turns a little golden.
- Pour out onto aluminum foil and let cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container or freeze in Ziploc freezer bags.
- *I always make a double batch then freeze half to have ready for Christmas.