The BEST FRIED BUFFALO WINGS that just so happen to be GLUTEN FREE! Spicy deep fried buffalo chicken wings perfect for tailgating, the Super Bowl, and every day in between!
This post is a labor of love. A labor of love to my husband Pat. Let’s be honest, not much of what I cook is in honor of him. He hates onions, I LOVE ONIONS, so I use lots of onions. He hates rosemary, I LOVE ROSEMARY, so I use lots of rosemary. Most of the time when cooking, my attitude is, YOU’RE CRAZY FOR NOT LIKING THAT and you can pick around it. Does that make me a bad wife?? Don’t answer that. But today, today is about Pat. Pat loves loves loves Fried Buffalo Wings. He is a man of simple tastes, and that’s really okay, even if I try to push his tastes sometimes. So today I’m keeping it simple with the absolute BEST Fried Buffalo Wings, and as a bonus, I made them GLUTEN FREE! The perfect appetizer for tailgating (our favorite thing to do!) and just in time for the holidays and Super Bowl prep. YAY!
I texted Pat while he was at work to let him know these beauties would be waiting for him. My typically even keel husband was very excited! He’s always asking why I can’t make more recipes like this. Well today is his day! And lucky for us all, they’re totally easy, crave worthy, and DELICIOUS. Just the right amount of sticky and spice (a secret ingredient helps with that!), but not too hot where I can’t enjoy them too. Are they the perfect Fried Buffalo Wings?? They just might be.
The secret to making these bad boys GLUTEN FREE is Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1:1 Baking Flour! I am OBSESSED with this stuff. I love all Bob’s Red Mill products, but this just might be my favorite. You can use it exactly as you would all purpose flour in baking, recipes, and everything in between. It makes keeping recipes gluten free SO much easier. My very favorite company just got even better with this product. You guys have to try it!
Eat them by themselves (the sauce is SO GOOD), dip them in ranch or blue cheese, eat a little or a lot, the choices are all yours! But these better be made in your house soon, because they’re so worth it. Plus they make the Pat in your life, whoever that may be, very very happy. The simple recipes are sometimes the best. I’m learning that.
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
4.5 based on 6 review(s)
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (less if you don't love spicy)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 pounds chicken wingettes (or chicken wings, with joints removed)
- oil for frying
- 1 cup Buffalo Sauce (such as Franks Red Hot)
- 1/2 cup salted butter (one stick)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- In a large ziplock bag, combine the flour, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to fully combine.
- Add in the chicken wings about 10 at a time, sealing and shaking to fully coat the wings in the flour mixture. Remove wings from the mixture and place on a paper plate. Repeat with all the wings until they are all fully coated in the flour mixture. Place wings in the fridge for 10-30 minutes; this will help the flour to fully adhere to the wings.
- While the wings chill in the fridge, heat 3 inches of oil in a large stock pot or dutch oven to 360F.
- Fry the wings in batches of 10 for 10-15 minutes, or until the wings are crispy, browned, and fully cooked through. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- When you start frying your last batch of wings, start your sauce.
- Heat the butter, hot sauce, and honey or medium/high heat in a small sauce pan. Stir while you cook. Once bubbling, reduce to simmer and continue cooking.
- Use a whisk to stir the sauce often while cooking, about 10-15 minutes.
- Once all the wings are done and drained of oil, add them all to a large bowl and toss in the hot sauce.
- Serve immediately, with ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping.
This recipe was written in a partnership with Bob’s Red Mill. As always, all opinions are 100% my own. Thank you SO much for supporting the brands that help support The Cookie Rookie!