These Cheesy Creamy Chicken Enchiladas make for a quick and filling weeknight meal that the entire family will love it!
Table of Contents
Creamy Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
Cheesy Creamy Chicken Enchiladas, made with corn tortillas, shredded chicken, a mix of cheeses, green chiles and a delicious and rich sauce!
Perfect for a hearty weeknight meal that’s packed with Mexican flavor.
Chicken Enchiladas are one of my favorite Mexican Recipes. You can never go wrong when making them!
How To Make Creamy Chicken Enchiladas – Step By Step
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Wrap tortillas in paper towels and heat them in the microwave on HIGH just until softened and warm; set aside.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon oil, onions and jalapenos. Sauté the onions and jalapeno until softened. Add chicken, green chilies (with juice), smoked paprika and red pepper flakes. Then, add cup chicken broth, stir and bring the mixture just to a boil. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a different large skillet set over medium heat, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Cook one minute, whisking continuously, and add the remaining 1¾ cup chicken broth. Continue stirring and cooking 2 minutes. Then, add the remaining can of green chilies with juice.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in 2 cups of the mixed cheeses, sour cream, ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika and cilantro. Stir and cook just until cheese is melted.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons chicken mixture into the middle of a tortilla, cover with 1 tablespoon shredded cheese and roll it up. Place seam-side down into the sprayed dish and repeat with the remaining tortillas (or as many as will fit in the dish).
- Pour the cheese mixture over the tortillas and top with additional shredded cheese, then bake until hot & bubbly and the cheese is just beginning to brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle additional fresh cilantro. Serve with your favorite toppings.
Creamy Enchilada Sauce
Red sauce has its place in the world of enchiladas, but sometimes it can be too thin or so overwhelming in flavor that you can’t taste the other ingredients.
Instead, this recipe has a rich and creamy white sauce! It’s a sour cream based sauce, light in flavor but with a hint of heat from the green chilies. So good!
Here are some more side dish ideas:
- Mexican Corn on the Cob
- Black Bean and Corn Salad/Dip
- Grilled Zucchini
- Ranch Veggie Salad
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Slaw with Tomato, Red Onion and Jalapeno
- Summer Corn Salad
How to Store Leftover Enchiladas
- Refrigerate: To keep the enchiladas up to 2 days in the refrigerator, tightly cover the pan with foil before storing.
- Freeze: To freeze the enchiladas for up to 3 months, tightly wrap the entire pan with foil, crimping to seal around the edges to prevent freezer burn.
- Reheat: To reheat (bake), remove plastic wrap, cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover; continue to bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until completely cooked through.
- You can use a rotisserie chicken for this recipe, easy and delicious!
- You can use flour tortillas instead of corn tortillas. Flour can get a bit soggy, but still delicious!
- Many people like to substitute sour cream with plain greek yogurt for a healthier option. You can definitely do the same in this recipe. Just use an equal amount of yogurt in place of the sour cream.
- To shred the chicken, use two forks. Or if you have a stand mixer (using the paddle attachment), put your chicken in the mixing bowl and mix until shredded.
More Mexican Recipes we love
- Crockpot Beef Tacos
- Shredded Beef Enchiladas
- Grilled Chicken Nachos
- Fiesta Dip
- Queso Dip
- Chicken Tacos
- Queso Chicken Fajitas
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!