These CHEESY MIGAS are a family favorite breakfast recipe for Christmas morning! Scrambled eggs with lots of cheese, veggies, tortilla chips, and more. It’s an easy skillet breakfast the entire family will love!
CHEESY MIGAS have long been one of my very favorite breakfast recipes. It’s comfort food for breakfast, and what could be better than that! My Great Aunt Lily had these perfected. She served it to us with her famous Aunt Lily’s Orange Juice (almost like a morning orange julius!), and I still remember how good it tasted, even though I was a child. My mom picked up where Lily left off and made sure to make Migas for us more often than not.
We are a lucky family! My mom’s cooking is second to none. These Cheesy Migas are always on the list for Christmas morning, and I know if you make it for your family they will love it as much as we do!
Migas are basically scrambled eggs on crack…in the best way possible. Loaded with veggies, ham, CHEESE, tortilla chips, and so much more. Did I say cheese? Both shredded cheese and creamy velveeta make this recipe absolutely to die for. You guys also know I love a one pot skillet recipe, so these are kicked up even another notch because there is only one pan to clean. Thank you Christmas morning! No one wants to wait to open presents while you scrub dishes. Make one pan recipes for the holidays. Bottom line.
We love to serve them with simple black beans, more tortilla chips, sour cream, and some cojita cheese. If this isn’t the most perfect breakfast I just don’t know what is! Enjoy!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-tablespoon canola oil
- ½ green pepper, diced
- ½ red sweet pepper, diced
- 1 sweet yellow onion, minced
- 1-jalapeno, seeds & white membranes removed, minced
- 8 eggs, slightly beaten
- ¼ cup milk or cream
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 slices good ham, thin-sliced and cut into strips
- 1-cup quartered sweet cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped, divided into two 2 tablespoon portions
- 2 cups slightly crushed Tostitos or white corn chips, divided into ¾ cup and 1¼ cup portions
- 2” chunk, Velveeta Cheese, cubed
- 1½ cup Mexican cheese blend, shredded, divided into 1 cup and ½ cup portions
- ½ cup Cojita Cheese, crumbled, divided into two ¼ cup portions
- Heat butter and oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add diced green pepper, red pepper, onion and jalapeno. Sauté until onions are soft and translucent.
- Turn heat to low and add eggs, milk and black pepper then stir until eggs start to set.
- Add ham, tomatoes, cilantro and ¾ cup crushed Tostitos and continue to stir until eggs are almost set.
- Remove from heat.
- Add Velveeta, shredded cheese and ¼ cup crumbled Cotija cheese and stir until cheese melts.
- The eggs should be perfect as this point, but if you want firmer eggs, let them sit for a few minutes, then stir.
- Scoop a portion of eggs onto a serving plate, then sprinkle the eggs with extra crushed chips, shredded cheese and extra Cotija cheese.
- Sprinkle with a touch of chopped cilantro and serve.