CHEESY MIGAS are a family favorite breakfast recipe for Christmas morning! This Tex-Mex migas recipe is made up of scrambled eggs, lots of cheese, veggies, tortilla chips, and so much more. It’s an easy skillet breakfast the entire family will love!
Migas are the perfect skillet breakfast recipe to serve on Christmas, or any time really. This cheesy migas recipe is loaded with all of the best ingredients in true Tex-Mex fashion!
CHEESY MIGAS have long been one of my very favorite breakfast recipes. It’s Tex-Mex comfort food for breakfast, and what could be better than that! My Great Aunt Lily had these perfected. She served it to us with her famous Aunt Lily’s Orange Juice (almost like a morning orange julius!), and I still remember how good it tasted even though I was a child. My mom picked up where Lily left off and made sure to make this Migas recipe for us more often than not.
We are a lucky family because my mom’s cooking is second to none. These Cheesy Migas are always on the list for Christmas morning, and I know if you make it for your family they will love it just as much as we do!
You guys also know I love a one pot skillet recipe, so these are kicked up even another notch because there is only one pan to clean. Thank you Christmas morning! No one wants to wait to open presents while you scrub dishes. Make one pan recipes for the holidays. Bottom line.
This Cheesy Migas recipe is loaded with all of the best Tex-Mex ingredients. It’s so delicious and so easy, making it the perfect breakfast recipe for Christmas morning and beyond!
What is Migas?
Migas are basically scrambled eggs on crack…in the best way possible. It’s a traditional Mexican breakfast dish that mostly consists of fried tortilla strips mixed with eggs. But this Tex-Mex version is loaded with veggies, ham, lots of CHEESE, tortilla chips, and so much more. Did I mention cheese? I added both shredded cheese and creamy velveeta to make this recipe absolutely to die for.
What’s in Migas?
- Tortillas (or Tortilla Chips)
- Cheese, Cheese, Cheese
How to Make Migas
This one pan skillet breakfast is such an easy thing to throw together in the mornings. It’s filled with tons of delicious ingredients, but it’s so simple to make. It’s the perfect thing to serve for Christmas breakfast, because you can make it quick, everyone will love it, and then you can move on to the other fun activities (opening gifts) of the day.
How to Make Migas:
- Heat butter and oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add green peppers, red peppers, jalapenos, and onions. Saute until onions are translucent.
- Switch heat to low, then add eggs, milk, and black pepper. Stir until eggs start to set.
- Add ham, tomatoes, cilantro, and crushed tortilla chips.
- Stir until eggs are almost set and then remove from heat.
- Add shredded cheese, Velveeta, and Cojita cheese, and stir until the cheese melts.
To serve, scoop the eggs onto a plate and sprinkle with more cheese and crushed tortilla chips. We also like to top them with sour cream and more cilantro. Feel free to add in your other favorite things, like maybe salsa, pico de gallo, avocado. Migas are great when served with black beans, or you could even serve them with refried beans.
Recommended Products to make this breakfast recipe
If this isn’t the most perfect breakfast I just don’t know what is! Eggs, cheese, all my favorite ingredients, cooked and served in one skillet. It’s simple, it’s delicious, and it’s sure to please the whole family. Cheesy Migas for the win!
See the recipe card below for details on how to make this Cheesy Migas recipe. Enjoy!
If you like this recipe, try these other favorite EASY breakfast recipes:
- One Pan Sausage Biscuit Gravy Cobbler
- Apple Pie Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Sheet Pan Breakfast Pizza Recipe
- Cheesy Baked Breakfast Sliders
- Oven Baked Steak and Egg Breakfast Tacos
- One Pan BLT Skillet Frittata
CHEESY MIGAS are a family favorite breakfast recipe for Christmas morning! This Tex-Mex migas recipe is made up of scrambled eggs, lots of cheese, veggies, tortilla chips, and so much more. It's an easy skillet breakfast the entire family will love!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1- tablespoon canola oil
- ½ green pepper diced
- ½ red sweet pepper diced
- 1 sweet yellow onion minced
- 1- jalapeno seeds & white membranes removed, minced
- 8 eggs slightly beaten
- ¼ cup milk or cream
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 slices good ham thin-sliced and cut into strips
- 1- cup quartered sweet cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped, divided into two 2 tablespoon portions
- 2 cups slightly crushed Tostitos or white corn chips divided into ¾ cup and 1¼ cup portions
- 2 ounces Velveeta cubed
- 1½ cup Mexican cheese blend shredded, divided into 1 cup and ½ cup portions
- ½ cup Cojita Cheese crumbled, divided into two ¼ cup portions
- Heat butter and oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add diced green pepper, red pepper, onion and jalapeno. Sauté until onions are soft and translucent.
- Turn heat to low and add eggs, milk and black pepper then stir until eggs start to set.
- Add ham, tomatoes, cilantro and ¾ cup crushed Tostitos and continue to stir until eggs are almost set.
- Remove from heat.
- Add Velveeta, shredded cheese and ¼ cup crumbled Cotija cheese and stir until cheese melts.
- The eggs should be perfect as this point, but if you want firmer eggs, let them sit for a few minutes, then stir.
- Scoop a portion of eggs onto a serving plate, then sprinkle the eggs with extra crushed chips, shredded cheese and extra Cotija cheese.
- Sprinkle with a touch of chopped cilantro and serve.