When it comes to pure comfort food, you really cannot go wrong with a classic chicken and dumplings recipe. Made from scratch, this traditional dish is sure to warm your body and soul!
Homemade Chicken and Dumplings
A rich and creamy chicken stew topped with homemade dumplings is one of my all time favorite recipes, and it’s on my menu as soon as the weather starts to get a bit chilly.
Hearty and filling, this is perfect go to when you want to get cozy, and it’s so simple to make. This is one delicious family meal.
Why you’ll love this Traditional Chicken and Dumplings Recipe:
When you want something rich, tasty and wholesome, you can not go wrong with this recipe!
How to make Chicken and Dumplings – From-Scratch
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- Brown the chicken in the pot and set aside.
- Soften the onions, garlic and carrots.
- Stir in the flour and add the chicken back to the pot.
- Add the rest of the stew ingredients and cover the pot.
- Make the dumplings by combining the wet and dry ingredients.
- Scoop the dough into balls and place on top of the chicken stew.
- Cover and cook til the dumplings are cooked through.
I prefer to make this recipe with chicken breast, but you can use thighs as well, or a mixture of both.
The dumplings only take minutes to make from scratch, but you can make the mix up to a day ahead of time and keep covered in the fridge. They are easily whipped up as the chicken soup is cooking.
This is a great make ahead meal. Leftovers will keep well for up to 4 days in the fridge, or up to 3 months frozen. Thaw fully before reheating on the stovetop.
This recipe is super delicious, but if you have a busy day ahead of you, then my Crockpot chicken and dumplings are a great option that you can make up earlier in the day and come home to one delicious family dinner.
I love to serve chicken and dumplings with a side of veggies or some bread to mop up the soup. Try them with:
This is one hearty and filling dish and is perfect when you need a little bit of comfort. Cozy up with a big bowl!
- You can easily add additional veggies to his recipe like mushrooms or bell peppers.
- Keep the lid on the pot when you add the dumpling dough, as the steam will help them to rise and cook through.
- If making ahead of time, let cool fully before storing.
Easy to make and full of rich and creamy flavors, this is sure to become a family favorite.
There are no other words to describe chicken and dumplings, other than pure comfort! Rich and delicious and pretty easy to make too!
More Cozy Soup Recipes we Love
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.