Make this Easy Chicken Tikka Masala a weeknight staple! Chicken is quickly marinated in a spiced yogurt mixture, so it’s tender and juicy. Then, it’s smothered in a creamy, comforting, flavor-packed curry sauce.
Table of Contents
Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
This Easy Chicken Tikka Masala goes toe-to-toe with the best take out! A quick marinade delivers the most flavorful chicken and that’s not all..the curry sauce is absolutely knock out good!
How To Make Chicken Tikka Masala – Step by Step
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Marinate the chicken.
- Sear the chicken.
- Make the sauce.
- Simmer the chicken in the sauce until fully cooked.
- Serve and enjoy!
What Is Chicken Tikka Masala?
Chicken Tikka Masala is a dish that consists of chunks of marinated chicken smothered in a creamy, heavily-spiced, tomato-based curry sauce. It owes its name to that heavily-spiced sauce, as masala is an Indian term for a mixture of spices.
Chicken Tikka Masala is a super popular dish at Indian restaurants in the U.S. and it’s typically served with rice and plenty of naan to mop up that delicious sauce.
Is it spicy?
Typically this curry is not spicy. It’s appeal comes from the richness of the sauce and creamy coated chicken. The gravy part is prepared without any chilies. Ditto the ‘tikkas’ – boneless pieces of chicken marinated in spiced yogurt.
But of course you can throw in some sweat inducing chilies if you like it spicy!
Can I Freeze Chicken Tikka Masala?
If planning on freezing this dish, make double the sauce and freeze half. Freeze it separately without the chicken. When ready to serve, prepare the chicken as directed, then add it to the thawed sauce to simmer for 15-20 minutes or serve with rotisserie chicken.
- Make sure your spices aren’t too old or they will be lacking in potency.
- If in a hurry, rotisserie chicken can be substituted for skillet cooked chicken.
- You can top with some creme fraiche, this adds some acidity and silkiness to the dish.
- Top with cilantro and almond slices, serve with rice and naan.
This curry dish is with chicken and rice is absolutely delish! The best way to finish it off is to serve it with fresh naan to help scoop up the extra sauce. I also recommend making these easy naan rolls to go with it!
Check Out These Other Delicious Curry Recipes
- Healthy Almond Milk Chicken Curry Recipe (Dairy Free)
- Vegetable Curry Recipe (Thai Vegetable Curry)
- Vegetarian Tikka Masala (Indian Cauliflower Masala)
- Curry Chicken Hand Pies (Easy Chicken Curry Recipe in a Flaky Pastry)
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!