This post is sponsored by Danish Creamery. All opinions are my own.
Wonderfully sweet and ultra soft, Gooey Butter Cookies are so easy to make from scratch! Featuring cream cheese, almond extract, and powdered sugar, these butter cookies are completely homemade – no boxed cake mix here. Add these simple cookies to your Christmas baking list!
Gooey Butter Cake Cookies
It wouldn’t be Christmas baking season in my family without a batch of homemade gooey butter cookies! Rich, creamy, and melt in your mouth delicious, these sweet cookies are always a hit. You can’t stop at just one!
What makes these cookies so amazing? Using my all-time favorite butter. Hint: you won’t regret it!
Why You’ll Love this Gooey Butter Cookies Recipe:
- Easy: These butter cookies come together in minutes with simple ingredients, many of which you have on hand already!
- Make Ahead: If you want to get a head start on your Christmas baking, these cookies are a great option. They’re freezer friendly – freeze before or after baking.
- So Festive! Rolled in powdered sugar, they look like little snowballs!
- High Quality Ingredients: For best results, I always recommend using high quality ingredients. I love using Danish Creamery European style butter for these butter cookies – you’ll taste the difference.
The Best Ooey Gooey Butter Cookies
With such a short ingredient list, the quality of ingredients matters. For the best ever gooey butter cookies, European style butter is best!
European Style Butter
Danish Creamery butter is a staple in my kitchen – I recently used it to make Brown Butter Banana Bread and our fave Tuscan Chicken Skillet, and use it everyday at home! I’m constantly blown away – made in small batches, I can trust the quality. I trust that the cows are pasture-raised (always better!) and that each batch is churned by hand. This type of butter is perfect for baking and a must-use for these Gooey Butter Cookies.
When a recipe has “butter” in the name, using the best butter is the only way to go. Find out where to buy Danish Creamery near you!
How to Make Gooey Butter Cookies
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Beat the Danish Creamery butter, cream cheese, and granulated sugar together.
- Add the egg and almond extract.
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and combine.
- Refrigerate the dough.
- Roll the chilled dough into balls.
- Roll the balls to coat each in powdered sugar.
All the Holiday Cookies
25+ Favorite Christmas Cookies
Baking and Christmas go hand in hand. See our guide for our fave recipes + tips and tricks for perfect cookies.
These cookies are best fresh, but they keep well in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 or 4 days. To extend their shelf life to 5-6 days, refrigerate them.
To make these gooey butter cookies ahead of time, freezing the dough is the best option. Place the dough onto a baking sheet, freeze it until solid, then wrap in plastic wrap and place into a freezer bag. The cookie dough will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months.
If you’d like to freeze baked cookies, place the baked cookies onto a baking sheet, freeze them until solid, and place in an airtight container with parchment paper between each layer of cookies. Thaw frozen cookies at room temperature.
Yes! Do not skip this step no matter how much of a hurry you are in! Chilling the cookie dough solidifies the butter so the cookies won’t spread as much when you bake them.
- For super soft cookies, do not overmix the dough. When adding the flour, mix the dough together on a low speed so the gluten doesn’t become overworked (this leads to tougher cookies).
- Wait for the oven to fully preheat before baking the cookies. They bake quickly so keep your eye on them!
- Give some space between each cookie dough ball on the baking sheet – the cookies will spread while they bake!
More Easy Cookie Recipes
These Gooey Butter Cookies are the first step to making all of our favorite cookie recipes. Try them all!
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!