Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice is a blend of warm, cozy spices that I love having on hand for all of my fall baking! Fall simply isn’t complete without pumpkin flavored everything, and this is the easiest way to get it. This easy homemade seasoning mix needs to be on your spice rack for pies, brownies, muffins, and more!
What is in Pumpkin Pie Spice
A small handful of spice rack staples are mixed together to create the best tasting pumpkin spice seasoning! Pumpkin pie just wouldn’t be the same without it.
- Cinnamon: This is the star of the show!
- Allspice: When you smell allspice, you’ll notice that it probably reminds you of pumpkin pie. It’s a key ingredient!
- Nutmeg: This warm, nutty spice adds a very nice depth to the spice blend.
- Ginger: This spice is slightly sweet and peppery. It helps to create that signature pumpkin spice aroma and flavor.
- Mace: Mace and nutmeg may come from the same tree, but they are different spices. Both should be used to create the best flavor.
- Cloves: This spice is very strong, so measure with care. You don’t want the cloves to overpower the other spices.
PRO TIP: Cinnamon is a must here, but if you’re missing one of the other spices, that’s okay! You’ll still get a great tasting mix.
Does pumpkin spice contain pumpkin?
No, this is simply a spice blend that is often used to add flavor to pumpkin recipes. Which is why people often think of this as “pumpkin flavor.” Plain pumpkin actually tastes quite mild.
Email This Recipe
Enter your email and we’ll send the recipe directly to you!
What’s in pumpkin pie spice and why is it called that? Well, it’s a mix of warm spices that’s commonly used to season pumpkin pie. It doesn’t taste like pumpkin, but this seasoning mix is the perfect complement to all pumpkin dishes. Go beyond pie and use this homemade pumpkin pie spice in lots of fall recipes!
Absolutely! If you’re a big fan of pumpkin, you can easily make a big batch of this spice mix so it’s ready to go. Simply double or triple the recipe, using the same ratio of spices.
This mix is my preferred combo of spices, but you can add others if you like. Some like to add cardamom to their blend.
How to Store
Stored in an airtight container or jar, in a dark cool place (like a pantry or spice cabinet), it will keep about 6 months. After that, the spices will lose their potency.
There are so many ways to use this autumnal spice blend! Here are just a few of my favorite recipes that benefit tremendously from homemade pumpkin pie spice:
- Pumpkin Pie Monkey Bread
- Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- Pumpkin Brownies
- Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
- Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Crisp
- Pumpkin Creme Brûlée
“Thank you so much! I didn’t know that it’s so easy to make pumpkin spice!” – Helen
More Spice Blend Recipes We Love
- Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
- Italian Seasoning Recipe
- Homemade Herbs de Provence
- Blackened Seasoning
- Homemade Fajita Seasoning
- Homemade Kettle Corn Seasoning