This Basil Chicken recipe with cream sauce has always been one of my favorite recipes. This dish has a creamy tomato basil sauce made with heavy cream and cheese that is just to die for! Easy breaded chicken, tomatoes, fresh herbs, and more make up this fool-proof skillet chicken recipe.
Basil Chicken Recipe
This creamy basil chicken skillet was one of the first recipes I made when I started learning to cook. It gave me so much confidence because it’s SO delicious and so fool-proof.
I’m always looking for easy chicken recipes to make for dinner, and I certainly have a lot of them! But this chicken with cream sauce has proven to stand up to the test of time.
I was instantly in love with this dish when I first made it, and it seems all of you have loved it too!
The fact that this basil chicken recipe is made in ONE PAN blew my mind and gave me confidence that I too could cook amazing (yet EASY) meals for friends and family.
My Favorite Skillet Chicken Recipe
This basil chicken remains one of my very favorite recipes on the site and I come back to it over and over again.
I first made this years ago, but I’ve continuously worked to perfect the recipe every time I made it.
Some other favorite Skillet Chicken Recipes include Chicken Parmesan Pasta Skillet, Enchilada Stuffed Chicken Skillet, and Chicken con Queso. Can you tell I’m obsessed with one pot wonders?
Basil Cream Sauce
Everyone loves a good chicken recipe, but that CREAMY SAUCE is what makes this dish amazing. It cooks in the same skillet you cook the chicken in, so the leftover juices mix in with the cream and cheese and basil to cook down into the perfect flavor pairing.
- Heavy cream
- Chicken broth
- Diced tomatoes
- Sherry (optional)
- Parmesan Cheese
- Garlic-Herb Cheese (like this homemade boursin)
- Black pepper
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
72+ Chicken Dinner Recipes
See our Chicken Guide for all the best chicken recipes plus tips and tricks for juicy chicken every time.
How to Make Basil Chicken with Cream Sauce
This one pan recipe is really easy. Here’s a quick step-by-step:
- Cover chicken breast in buttermilk then dip in breadcrumbs and place in skillet.
- Cook 5 minutes, then flip and cook another 5 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove chicken from the skillet.
- Add chicken broth and sherry to skillet and bring to a boil.
- Add cream, pimentos, tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add in the cheeses and herb. Let it simmer until the sauce reduces by half.
- Add chicken back to the skillet with the sauce until everything is heated through.
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
I love serving this creamy basil chicken with a side of rice and veggies, or with pasta. The cream acts as the perfect pasta sauce, and the chicken is super tender!
What to Do with Leftovers
This creamy basil chicken recipe makes for great leftovers.
- Keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days. (If you’re like us, it won’t last that long due to you eating it immediately.)
- To reheat: place the chicken and sauce in a skillet and heat over medium heat until heated through. Stir regularly so the sauce warms evenly. Reheating the chicken directly with the sauce helps keep it juicy.
- It also reheats just fine when popped microwave for a little over a minute, if you’re in a rush to eat. Be sure to smother it in lots of leftover sauce!
- This dish doesn’t freeze well due to the heavy cream component, so I recommend refrigerating and eating within a few days.
- This recipe works best with chicken breasts that aren’t super thick. They cook faster and more evenly in the skillet and come out more tender.
- You can slice larger breasts in half length-wise if you can’t find thin cuts.
- Soaking the chicken in buttermilk before starting helps tenderize the meat and adds a creamy texture before coating it in breadcrumbs.
- After removing the chicken from the skillet, deglaze the pan and scrape off the brown bits as you start to cook the sauce. It adds extra flavor!
Man I love this recipe. Just looking at that basil cream sauce…I’m addicted!
Recipes like this Skillet Basil Cream Chicken are my favorite thing to make, eat, and share with all of you!
More Chicken Breast Recipes we Love
- Baked Chicken Tacos
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Tuscan Chicken in Parmesan Sauce
- Creamy Caesar Chicken
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
- Baked Chicken Parmesan
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.
Followed the recipe and amazingly I was successful! We loved it!! The chicken came out very tender and the sauce was delicious!! I now have made many of Beckys recipes and have loved them all! Your my hero!!
Thanks so much
Thanks so much for your kind words, Danny! That looks scrumptious!
My family absolutely LOVED this dish and it is now a ‘TOP 5’ favorite in our house!
So glad to hear it, Carrie!
So. Freaking. Good!!! I made keto bread crumbs and used skinny pasta rice. Oh. My. Lort. Tasty as can be!!!! Will 1000% be making this again!
Thanks for sharing!!
I’ve made this dish a dozen times but haven’t left a review. Since the first time I’ve made it, whenever this dish is on my table there aren’t ever leftovers. I serve it over rice. Great recipe
Time to double up for leftovers!
Can you sub out the buttermilk? What else could you dip the chicken in? Trying to consolidate ingredients. Thanks
I usually just use regular milk
A cup of milk mixed with a table spoon of lemon juice after letting it curdle for about 5 mins makes great buttermilk!
This is definitely being added into the dinner rotation… But your copper pans in the pictures ???? Where can I buy?
Are these nutrition facts for one serving or the whole recipe? This is great for LCHF!
It’s for one serving. These nutrition facts are definitely an estimate but I plugged everything in so it should be relatively accurate.
you always have a high taste of food .. your recipes are always the best … thank you for sharing this information to us
Do you have to bread the chicken breasts? Looking to make this as a low carb meal.
No you definitely don’t have to! Just grill them the same and skip the breading step. Enjoy!