Basil Chicken Recipe (Skillet Basil Cream Chicken)
Basil Chicken with Cream Sauce has always been one of my favorite recipes. This Basil Chicken Recipe has a creamy sauce made with buttermilk and cheese that is just to die for. Easy breaded chicken, tomatoes, fresh herbs, and more make up this super easy, delicious, and fool-proof favorite among Skillet Chicken Recipes. You need this Cream Chicken in your life ASAP! Basil Recipes for the win!
Basil Chicken with Tomato Cream Sauce is one of my favorite basil recipes. The flavor is out of this world!
When I started The Cookie Rookie a couple days after my 30th birthday in 2012…I couldn’t cook, anything. I started it as a hobby but it has become SO much more. I have made some pretty big strides in cooking, but also love it for the creative outlet, connecting with readers, the blogger friends I’ve made, and of course the never ending delicious leftovers!
Skillet Basil Cream Chicken was one of the first recipes I made when I started.
I was instantly in love with this Cream Chicken. The fact that it’s all made in ONE PAN blew my mind and gave me confidence that I too could cook amazing (yet EASY) meals for friends and family. I can never have enough Skillet Chicken Recipes!
No one has to know just how easy this Basil Chicken Recipe really is! Let them think you’re a master chef.
Although the post was all written in lowercase…and the pictures were HORRENDOUS (like, ouch!), it remains one of my very favorite recipes on the site. Search “basil chicken” to see the original post! (I warned you about the pictures!) is is actually the SECOND time I’ve done new photos for this post (I attempted again in 2014 and although the pics were better than the first time around, they still didn’t do this creamy chicken justice. I keep coming back to this Basil Chicken and it continues to be a favorite after all these years.
I also recently recruited Mom to help me perfect the recipe so this is the new and improved version!! We have tested and tested it and now it’s perfect. It’s SO good and fool-proof.
Does this Basil Chicken Recipe reheat well? How long will it keep in the fridge? What are some other favorite Skillet Chicken Recipes?
Speaking of leftovers, this recipe is the king of leftovers. Serve it with rice or pasta, its delicious so many ways. It’s a keeper, even if those original pictures were not not not. It should keep in the fridge if properly stored for 2-3 days.
Tips for making one of our favorite Basil Recipes, this Basil Chicken Recipe with Cream Sauce:
This works best when the chicken breasts aren’t super thick. You could also slice bigger breasts (that doesn’t sound right?) in half length-wise if you can’t find thin cuts. They cook faster and more evenly in the skillet and are all the more tender! Man I love this recipe. Just looking at that basil cream sauce…addiction.
Thanks so much for coming along on this crazy Cookie Rookie ride with me. I couldn’t do it without you. I cannot believe that I’ve officially been writing on this little spot of the internet as my FULL TIME JOB for 3 years now. Say what?! I’m so grateful. It was recipes like this Skillet Basil Cream Chicken that got me excited to start this journey.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! Check out the recipe video or recipe card to see full details. ENJOY!
Basil Chicken with Cream Sauce has always been one of my favorite recipes. This Basil Chicken Recipe has a creamy sauce made with buttermilk and cheese that is just to die for. Easy breaded chicken, tomatoes, fresh herbs, and more make up this super easy, delicious, and fool-proof Skillet Chicken Recipe. You need this Cream Chicken in your life ASAP! Basil Recipes for the win!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
5 based on 2 review(s)
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup dry breadcrumbs
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry, optional
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (4 ounce) can pimentos, drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons garlic & herb cheese, like Boursin
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place chicken breasts in a shallow dish and cover with buttermilk.
- Pour breadcrumbs in a different shallow dish.
- Heat skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon canola oil.
- Dip chicken in the breadcrumbs and place in the hot skillet.
- Cook 5 minutes or until bottom side is crispy and golden brown.
- Add remaining butter and oil and flip the breasts over. Cook another 5-7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate. Set aside.
- Add chicken broth and sherry (if using) to the skillet to deglaze and bring to a boil over medium heat. Scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the skillet.
- Add the cream, pimentos and tomatoes. Bring to a boil and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and add Parmesan, garlic-herb cheese, basil and black pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook until sauce reduces by half.
- Add the chicken back to the sauce and heat through.
- Serve as is with sauce or with a side of rice or pasta.