Twice Baked Potatoes are a classic, must-make side dish any time of year. This is the best Twice Baked Potatoes recipe – follow this recipe for creamy, cheesy, crispy twice-baked potatoes. Made with all of the best ingredients and toppings of your choice, they’re absolutely loaded with flavor!
What’s in this Twice Baked Potato Recipe?
These are a little fancier than classic baked potatoes. Each crispy skin is filled with mashed potatoes overflowing out of the shell all covered with more shredded cheese and toppings. A baked potato upgrade, if you ask me!
- Potatoes: I like Yukon Gold best, but Russets also work.
- Vegetable Oil: Prevents the potato skins from burning in the oven.
- Salt + Pepper: Season the skin of the potatoes!
- Shredded Cheese: Sharp cheddar, Gruyere, Mexican blend… the possibilities are endless!
- Butter: Helps the filling cook without burning. I recommend using unsalted butter, as the cheese is already salty enough!
- Scallions: A classic baked potato topping. You can use chives instead.
- Bacon: The perfect salty complement to these rich, creamy potatoes.
- Sour Cream: Makes the filling creamy and tangy. For a healthier swap, use low-fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt instead.
- Buttermilk: Loosens up the filling so that it’s scoopable and adds great tangy flavor.
Pro Tip: Try using softened cream cheese in place of the buttermilk for super decadent twice baked potatoes.
Variations on a Twice Baked Potato
Starting with this amazing base twice baked potato recipe, jazz it up to make it your own! Here are some ideas for recipe variations:
- Buffalo Chicken: Add spicy buffalo chicken, ranch, and blue cheese for a fun twist on a classic.
- Broccoli Cheese Twice Baked Potato: I have a whole recipe dedicated to this one. It’s so delicious!
- Spicy Mexican: Add ground beef, taco seasoning, jalapeños, and more!
- Caprese: Add fresh basil, tomatoes, and mozzarella.
- Chili Cheese: Load on your favorite chili, shredded cheese, and sour cream.
- Chicken Bacon Ranch: You heard me!
I love using Yukon Gold potatoes – they are a little more moist and creamy than traditional Russet potatoes, but either are delicious!
Yes! If you make this recipe as written, it’s gluten free. When making any recipe variations, check all of the ingredients to make sure they comply.
About 50 minutes to a little over 1 hour. Initially, the potatoes bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, until tender. Once the potato skins have been refilled with the mashed potato mixture, broil them for another 5-10 minutes.
Yes! These are a great make ahead recipe. You can make these potatoes up to 5 days ahead of time. Wrap the potatoes tightly in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Wait to add the cheese on top until right before baking.
If you have leftover twice baked potatoes, you can store them in the refrigerator for a few days. Just pop them back in the oven on broil to reheat.
How to Store and Reheat Twice-Baked Potatoes
Store leftover twice baked potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
These potatoes reheat wonderfully. I love to send them with my husband to work the next day after having them for dinner. You can reheat them in a 400°F oven on a wire rack set in a baking sheet for 20 minutes, or microwave them on high for 2-3 minutes.
How to Freeze Easy Twice Baked Potatoes
I love having a batch ready to go in the freezer! Freeze twice baked potatoes in a single layer on a lined baking sheet until solid, about 1-2 hours. Wrap each potato in aluminum foil and transfer to an airtight container or Ziplcok bag to store for up to 3 months.
If frozen before being baked, allow the potatoes to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before baking. If frozen after being baked, bake directly from frozen in a 400°F oven for 1 hour, or until heated through and bubbly.
What to Serve with Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes
Twice baked potatoes could easily be a meal on their own since they’re stuffed with so much goodness. Customize these twice baked potatoes with your favorite baked potato toppings!
I love setting up a twice baked potato bar with a bunch of toppings and letting guests build their own epic twice baked potato. So fun! Get creative and serve them with different types of cheeses and herbs, peppers, caramelized onions, or toasted nuts.
They’re also a tasty side dish and complement so many main dishes. I love adding these to our holiday menu, but they’re good any night of the week. Try them with Oven Fried Chicken, Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast, Honey Baked Ham, Pork Tenderloin with Honey & Herbs, Skillet Steak, Stovetop Burgers, or Buttermilk Fried Chicken.
“These were the very very best twice baked potatoes we have ever eaten. So creamy and delish! Boy have to make these again soon. Thank you Becky.” – Jill Schilling