Creamy and slightly sweet French Onion Dip is a must make party appetizer! Serve with chips and crudités for perfect snacking.
Creamy French Onion Dip
The same sweet yet savory flavors of French onion soup shine in this chilled, creamy French onion dip. Simple to make, this onion dip has a wonderful depth of flavor thanks to perfectly caramelized onions. It’s slightly sweet, a little salty, and is totally meant for sharing!
This effortless appetizer is a perfect addition to any game day or party spread.
Why You’ll Love this French Onion Dip Recipe:
- SIMPLE: Caramelize the onions and mix everything together – a low effort, maximum flavor recipe!
- CREAMY: Made with cream cheese and sour cream, French onion dip is ultra creamy and rich.
- VERSATILE: French onion dip is delicious with just about anything. Serve with your favorite crackers, sliced veggies, or even as a spread on sandwiches.
The flavors intensify the longer it chills so this is a great appetizer to make ahead of time! Whip up a batch of French onion dip a day or two in advance for easy, seamless hosting.
How to Make French Onion Dip
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Caramelize the onions.
- Mix all of the ingredients together.
- Serve and enjoy!
French Onion Dip Ingredient Notes
- Butter: Helps the onions caramelize in the skillet. Instead of butter, olive oil also works.
- Onions: Can’t have French onion dip without onions! I love the flavor of sweet onions, but yellow onions are another option.
- Sour Cream: The base of the dip. Full-fat gives the best flavor and texture, but light sour cream or plain Greek yogurt can be used instead.
- Cream Cheese: Adds richness. Instead of cream cheese, use the same amount of mayonnaise or mascarpone cheese.
- Parsley: Adds a welcome freshness! Chopped chives or green onions are also a delicious choice.
For traditional French onion dip, use sweet onions. In a pinch, yellow onions are another great option.
I don’t recommend it. For that classic sweet flavor of French onion dip, caramelize the onions before adding them to the dip.
I much prefer to use full-fat cream cheese and sour cream for dips as they have a richer texture and flavor. You can certainly use low-fat alternatives, but it won’t taste as decadent.
Yes, this is a naturally gluten free recipe.
This homemade French onion dip is meant for dipping. Serve it alongside:
- Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Mexican Spice Cheese Crackers
- Cheese Straws
- Soft Pretzel Bites
- Sliced fresh veggies like carrots, celery, cucumbers, or radishes
Choose anything dip-able to scoop up this delicious goodness!
This is a great recipe to prepare ahead of time. Keep dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Or, caramelize the onions up to 2 days ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use. When ready to make the dip, continue with step 4 of the recipe.
2 Tips for French Onion Dip
Onions: Be patient when caramelizing the onions. It takes about 20-30 minutes to caramelize thinly sliced onions. They’re caramelized when they turn a dark golden brown and taste slightly sweet. It’s well worth the wait!
Cream Cheese: Room temperature cream cheese combines more easily and creates a creamier dip. Take the cream cheese out of the refrigerator before you begin prepping the onions so it has time to soften.
More Easy Appetizer Recipes We Love
- Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
- Creamy Spinach Dip Crostini
- Asparagus Crescent Roll Appetizers
- Air Fryer Jalapeño Poppers
Infinitely better than any store-bought version, homemade French onion dip is simply irresistible!
More Party Dip Recipes to Try:
- Crockpot Sausage Cream Cheese Dip
- Instant Pot Queso Dip
- Sour Cream & Onion Chip Dip
- Easy Taco Dip
- Crockpot Pizza Dip
- Hot Pepper Jelly Dip
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!