This Skinny Buffalo Chicken Soup is amazing! So much flavor and none of the calories. Eating in a healthy way doesn’t have to mean you skip the flavor. Can you guess the secret ingredient??
There are few flavor combinations I love more than buffalo sauce and chicken. My Beer Cheese Buffalo Chicken Dip is my absolute favorite appetizer to make for tailgate season (M-I-Z!), and my Blue Cheese Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Meatballs…omg. The only drawback??? They’re not exactly the healthiest of recipes. Luckily my friend Jen from Fat Chick to Fit Chick has saved the day, and the calories. She created this AMAZING Skinny Buffalo Chicken Soup…and I’ll be forever grateful. This is one of the most creative and delicious recipes I have ever made!
I was lucky enough to meet Jen at a blog conference in STL last Spring. Over the past year, she has lost 100 pounds. ONE HUNDRED. (Click HERE to see her beautiful transformation) There are all kinds of blogs out there on the internet, but I think the inspirational ones are the best. Jen has an amazing and motivational story to tell, and I hope you check out her blog (and she has an absolutely adorable daughter too)! You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, and you’ll find some super creative and healthy recipes!
This soup has a secret ingredient, and I would have never thought of doing this on my own (thank you Jen!). CAULIFLOWER. Pureed cauliflower thickens the base of this soup to keep it super low in calories, while not sacrificing any flavor. Amazing. I can’t wait to try it with other soups to make them healthier. Pure. Genius.
I changed very little about this recipe, because it was just so perfect the way Jen wrote it (she also has really helpful step by step pics!). I used cooked rotisserie chicken to save time, and used a combination of chicken stock and chicken broth, because that’s what I had on hand. I would love to know how you make this recipe your own as well!
Be sure to check out Jen’s blog for more HEALTHY yet flavorful recipes like Steak Fajita Nachos and Clean Margarita Chicken. You can also follow her incredible transformation on Facebook HERE. You won’t regret it!
Adapted from Jennifer Miller, Fat Chick to Fit Chick: http://www.fatchick2fitchickblog.com/buffalo-chicken-soup/
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 2 pounds of cooked and shredded rotisserie chicken
- 3 tbsp of ranch seasoning*
- 1 large head of cauliflower chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound of sliced carrots
- 6 stalks of celery sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup Franks Red Hot Sauce (or your favorite hot sauce), use less if you want it to be less spicy, more if you want to burn your mouth off :)
- chopped green onion and blue cheese crumbles for garnish
- Boil cauliflower in stock pot with water, ranch seasoning, chicken broth, and chicken stock until very tender; approximately 10 minutes.
- While cauliflower is cooking, saute carrots, celery, and onion with the butter. Cook on medium heat until the onions are translucent and the vegetables are fork tender.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the cauliflower into a puree in the stock pot. It should blend completely and form a thicker base for the soup. Add the hot sauce and stir.
- Add the celery, carrots, and onion to the stock pot and stir.
- Stir in chicken and let cook on low for 20-30 minutes
- Serve hot with green onion and blue cheese as garnish (optional)