Buffalo Chicken Soup turns the delicious flavor of buffalo chicken wings into soup form! This skinny, healthy buffalo chicken soup recipe has so much flavor, but it’s light on calories. Try this delicious soup and see if you can guess the secret ingredient!
Buffalo Chicken Soup
This buffalo chicken soup recipe is easy to make, super delicious and creamy, and (best of all) it’s healthy!
This skinny soup is a comforting, low-calorie way to get a taste of your favorite buffalo chicken wings! It tastes the same, but you get to sip it out of a bowl, which actually makes it even more intensely delicious.
I love this recipe for chilly fall or winter nights, and it’s a crowd favorite on gameday. This soup is the perfect way to get one of my all-time favorite flavor combinations: Buffalo sauce and chicken. Turning it into a healthy soup recipe just makes it all the better!
Why You’ll Love this Skinny Buffalo Chicken Soup Recipe:
- HEALTHY: This recipe is healthier than you’d think! It’s less than 200 calories per serving, with less than 20 grams of carbs.
- FLAVORFUL: This skinny soup doesn’t miss any of the flavor. It’s still just as tasty and delicious!
- GAME DAY SOUP: If you’re looking for something lighter to serve on gameday, this creamy buffalo chicken soup is just the thing. It’s cozy and tastes like a bowl of buffalo wings!
- Chicken: Shredded chicken is perfect for this soup.
- Liquid: Use chicken stock AND broth for the perfect balance of flavor and texture.
- Cauliflower: This is the secret ingredient! Chop up a large head of cauliflower.
- Veggies: Celery, onion, and carrots fill out the soup.
- Buffalo Sauce: Try this homemade buffalo sauce recipe, or use your favorite store-bought option.
- Ranch Seasoning
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Soup
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Boil: Boil cauliflower with water, seasoning, broth, and stock until it’s very soft and tender.
- Sauté: While the cauliflower boils, sauté the celery, carrots, and onions in butter.
- Blend: Use an immersion blender to puree the cauliflower mixture until smooth. Stir in hot sauce.
- Simmer: Add the sautéed veggies and cooked chicken into the cauliflower soup base, and simmer until heated through.
- Serve: Garnish with preferred toppings and serve hot. Enjoy!
The only thing that adds heat to this soup is the buffalo sauce. So yes, you’ll get a bit of a kick, but it’s not overly spicy. You can add more hot sauce if you like it hot!
The pureed cauliflower makes the soup base quite thick, so you shouldn’t have an issue with watery soup. It will be thick and creamy!
Buffalo sauce is basically hot sauce mixed with butter to make it thick, rich, and creamy. You can substitute regular hot sauce, but it will change the texture and flavor a bit.
I like to add blue cheese crumbles and green onions for a simple garnish. But you could also add tortilla strips, more buffalo/hot sauce, shredded cheese, or cilantro.
This skinny buffalo chicken soup makes a great appetizer before dinner or the perfect light lunch. And it pairs well with all kinds of foods if you want to build a meal around it, or serve it to guests on gameday! Make a soup and salad lunch, or serve bowls of soup along with your favorite appetizers for Sunday football.
- Use a large stockpot or dutch oven for this buffalo chicken soup recipe.
- An immersion blender is ideal for this recipe, but you can use a food processor or high-powered blender instead. Just be sure the cauliflower has been cut into small pieces, and is nice and soft so it can be easily blended.
- Use fully-cooked chicken for this recipe. Do not add raw or undercooked chicken into the soup.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How do you make this buffalo chicken soup healthy?
This soup is surprisingly healthy. It’s basically a low calorie way to enjoy the flavor of buffalo chicken wings!
A lot of that is owed to our secret ingredient: cauliflower. Pureed cauliflower thickens the base of this soup to keep it super-low in calories, without sacrificing any flavor. It’s just absolutely amazing! I can’t wait to try it with other soups to make them healthier with this genius idea.
What kind of chicken should I use?
Use shredded chicken for this buffalo chicken soup. You can cook and shred the chicken yourself ahead of time (I recommend this Instant Pot Shredded Chicken recipe). But I prefer to use rotisserie chicken to help speed up the cooking process, and make it much easier.
Using only chicken breast and white meat will help keep it lighter, but you can use thighs and dark meat if you prefer.
Buffalo Chicken Recipes We Love
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Creamy Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas
- Buffalo Chicken Chili
- Beer Cheese Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip Bites
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
I’m so glad I made this Skinny Buffalo Chicken Soup recipe because it’s one of my favorite soups now. It’s flavorful AND healthy, so I don’t feel bad eating it all the time. I hope you love it too!
More Healthy Soup Recipes to Try
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Weight Watchers Cabbage Soup
- Instant Pot Turkey Noodle Soup
- Parmesan White Bean Soup
- Thai Coconut Chicken Soup
- Sausage Lentil Soup
- Vegan Pumpkin Soup
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!