CHEESY MEATBALL PARMESAN SOUP is the ultimate comfort food! Hearty Meatball Parm Soup topped with melted cheese and basil just might be the best soup you’ve had all year.
It’s officially SOUP SEASON! And not just any old soup…COMFORT FOOD SOUP SEASON! There’s simply nothing better than hearty, cheesy, hot soups. Nothing. Well maybe Italian food. Pasta and meatballs. So let’s combine the two and make Cheesy Meatball Parmesan Soup! The ultimate indulgent soup made for soup season. I could eat this all Winter long, and most likely will. It’s so full of flavor, delicious, and meant to be savored. Pick any cold day the next couple months and make yourself a nice big batch, you definitely won’t regret it!
Obsession isn’t a strong enough word for how I feel about this Cheesy Meatball Parmesan Soup. It reminds me a bit of my Chicken Parmesan Pasta Skillet, so much cheese and so much flavor. The secret is in the meatballs. Not just any old meatballs…my mom’s meatballs! Heaven. We decided to prepare the soup almost like a French Onion Soup, broiled with a layer of cheese on top. I mean, can you blame us??
This Meatball Parmesan Soup is the kind of recipe our family will make again and again throughout the years. It’s the kind of recipe you think about and crave days after you’ve had it for the first time. Why is it always the soups that are like that?! Like Mom’s Creamy Chicken Soup, I think this is one of her best creations yet.
Grab lots of cheese and a spoon and get to cooking! You’re going to love this Cheesy Meatball Parmesan Soup as much we do!
- 1 lb. ground chuck – equals 22-1½ inch meatballs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup regular breadcrumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar dissolved in 1½ cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped (or ½ teaspoon dried)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 oz. uncooked small shell pasta, or your favorite small pasta
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 baguette sliced and toasted
- 4 cups shredded Italian cheese blend or shredded mozzarella
- Combine all meatball ingredients in a large mixing bowl and gently mix together until ingredients are well combined. Shape into 1½-inch balls and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or a large, heavy bottomed saucepan, heat olive oil and butter. Sauté the diced onion until it is translucent and soft. Add the minced garlic to the onion and cook 30 seconds more.
- Add chicken broth, meatballs (we add them into the soup raw, without browning them. If you prefer to brown them, you can, but it's not necessary. Allowing them to cook into the soup adds some nice flavor!), crushed tomatoes, sugar water, basil, Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper, bay leaves, oregano and red pepper flakes. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 30 minutes.
- Add the dried pasta. Simmer, and stir occasionally, until the pasta is cooked to Al denté (still a little firm) 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Add 1/3rd grated Parmesan cheese and stir. Cook over low heat until cheese has melted and soup has thickened.
- To serve:
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Place bowls, evenly spaced, on a rimmed baking sheet. Ladle soup into oven-proof bowls, and top with ¼ cup shredded cheese. Broil until cheese is bubbly and melted. **Watch closely!
- Remove from the oven and garnish with chopped fresh basil and serve.