Made with peppers, chicken, fajita spices, and more, Chicken Fajita Soup is a little zippy and totally comforting! Top each bowl of this homemade soup with tortilla strips, sliced avocado, shredded cheese, and more.
Homemade Chicken Fajita Soup
When you’re craving the comforts of soup with a bit of spice, make a big batch of chicken fajita soup! It’s everything we know and love about chicken fajitas in soup form, perfect for chilly evenings or a delicious twist on Mexican night.
Pile on your favorite fajita toppings for a satisfying and filling meal!
Why You’ll Love this Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe:
- EASY: With simple to follow steps and basic ingredients, this homemade soup is ready in less than an hour.
- FLAVORFUL: Chicken fajita soup is loaded with fresh ingredients and classic fajita spices like chili powder and cumin. It tastes just like chicken fajitas!
- FUN TO SERVE: I love setting out a variety of toppings and creating a soup bar. Everyone can load their bowls of soup with their favorite toppings!
There’s so much fresh flavor in every bite of chicken fajita soup!
How to Make Chicken Fajita Soup
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- Chop or shred the chicken.
- Sauté the veggies.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook.
- Serve with cilantro, fresh lime juice, and your favorite toppings.
Use any kind of already cooked or roasted chicken breasts or thighs. Chop or shred it before adding it to the soup.
Absolutely! I love picking up a rotisserie chicken to use for this soup when I’m tight on time – it’s a great shortcut.
To make a vegetarian fajita soup, use veggie broth and omit the chicken. Feel free to add corn and black beans in place of the chicken.
This chicken fajita soup isn’t overly spicy. For an extra kick, add extra red pepper flakes or a splash of hot sauce.
This is a meal all on it’s own! Top chicken fajita soup with:
- Tortilla strips
- Sliced avocado
- Pico de gallo or your favorite salsa
- Sour cream
- Fresh lime juice
Full of Mexican-inspired flavors, homemade fajita soup is cozy and comforting.
- Save time and pick up a rotisserie chicken to use in this soup.
- Lime juice adds bright and fresh flavor. For best taste, use fresh lime juice. Bottled lime juice works in a pinch.
- Have fun with the toppings!
Easy to make and full of flavor, chicken fajita soup will quickly become a favorite recipe!
What toppings go well with chicken fajita soup?
Tortilla strips, crunchy tortilla chip crumbs, sour cream, diced avocado, fresh cilantro, and shredded cheddar cheese are all delicious toppings. Get creative!
How long does this soup last?
Store leftover chicken fajita soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Can I freeze chicken fajita soup?
Yes. Pour soup into an airtight container and freeze for up to 2 months.
More Mexican Dinner Recipes We Love
- Sheet Pan Tequila Lime Chicken Nachos
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- Easy Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- Mexican Pizza
If you love fajitas, this chicken fajita soup is for you!
More Cozy Soup Recipes to Try:
- Broccoli Cheese Gnocchi Soup
- 7 Can Soup
- Macaroni and Cheese Chicken Soup
- Tomato Soup with Cheesy Crostini
- White Chicken Chili Recipe with Cream Cheese
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Crockpot Cabbage Roll Soup
- Bacon Corn Chowder
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.