This crazy good CHICKEN POT PIE CASSEROLE is the ultimate easy comfort food! This AMAZING pot pie is loaded with carrots, peas, chicken, and topped with flakey pie crust. OBSESSED.
We LOVE casseroles around here. Some of my favorites have been our Broccoli Rice Casserole, Reuben Casserole (fun, right?), and Stuffed Pepper Casserole. I just can’t get enough of this brand of easy comfort food. All the flavor and absolutely none of the fuss. This Chicken Pot Pie Casserole has quickly become one of my go-to recipes on the site, and for good reason.
It’s loaded with the tastiest sauce, chunky chicken, peas, carrots, and more, and topped with a beautiful lattice pie crust. Homey, delicious, fun, and SO COMFORTING. Don’t you want to just dive in?!
This Chicken Pot Pie Casserole is just perfect for those busy nights where you’re not sure what to cook but you know you’re in need of something special. The lattice top is so pretty, but if you’re in a real rush, you can just lay the crust on top, poke some holes, and let it do its thing. No need to get fancy when dinner awaits!
If this Chicken Pot Pie Casserole isn’t the ultimate comfort food, I don’t know what is. Once you taste it, I know you’ll be as hooked as we are! Casseroles don’t only have to be eaten at grandma’s house, they can be a hit for any family! All the warmth, flavor, and ease that make a truly great meal, all in one place. My kind of recipe!
So comforting, so awesome. Enjoy!
15 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
4.5 based on 8 review(s)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 sweet yellow onion, peeled and minced
- 2 cloves pressed, or minced garlic
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken meat, cubed
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, cleaned & diced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth, low sodium or unsalted
- ¼ cup white wine, semi-dry or Chardonnay
- 1 cup heavy cream or half ‘n half
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground sweet basil
- Double pie crust, store bought or homemade
- 1 egg, beaten slightly with 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Allow piecrust to warm at room temperature,15-20 minutes, before rolling out.
- Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat butter and oil over medium-high heat until it shimmers.
- Add diced carrots and celery and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add minced onions and cook until onion is translucent.
- Add minced garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add cubed, cooked chicken and diced mushrooms and cook 1 minute.
- Sprinkle vegetables and chicken with the flour and cook 3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Stir in chicken stock and scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze the pan.
- Pour in the white wine and cream. Stir well.
- Season-to-taste with salt and add the pepper, thyme and basil. Stir well and continue to cook until thickened to a thick-stew consistency.
- Pour chicken stew mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Roll the piecrust to ¼ inch thickness and into 1-inch strips to create a lattice top. Or, drape it over the chicken stew mixture, and trim or crimp in the sides. Combine egg and water and brush the pastry with the egg mixture.
- Bake, at 375 degrees F, on the center rack of the oven, 35-45 minutes, or until top is golden.