Salsa chicken is a quick and easy chicken recipe that is full of Mexican inspired flavors. This crockpot chicken is easy to prep and great for busy weeknights. Use it for tacos, nachos, enchiladas or just serve it over rice and enjoy!
Easy Salsa Chicken
If you are looking for a prep and go chicken dinner that will simmer to tender perfection in your slow cooker, this salsa chicken is what you need! You only need a handful of ingredients and a few minutes of prep. The Crock Pot cooks this chicken and infuses it with Mexican flavors. Salsa chicken is perfect over rice but can also be used in tacos!
Why You’ll Love this Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Recipe:
- Easy meal. After you prep your chicken, your slow cooker will do all the work!
- Unique flavor. The flavors from the salsa, spices and natural chicken juices create a fresh yet savory taste that will leave your taste buds popping.
- Different variations for everyone. It’s really easy to alter this delicious salsa chicken recipe to suit your own taste.
This delicious salsa chicken makes for an excellent Mexican inspired dinner! Grab yourself a margarita and enjoy this festive meal.
How to Make Crockpot Salsa Chicken
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Place the chicken on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add the spices and salsa on top of the chicken.
- Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Shred with forks and serve.
- Feel free to use your favorite pre-made salsa for this recipe.
- Adjust the heat by using a hot salsa and adding more jalapenos!
- No extra liquid is needed for this recipe – the salsa helps keep the chicken moist.
Yes, you can use frozen chicken breasts for this recipe. You will need to give them a little extra cook time to ensure they are not undercooked.
Yes. Instead of chicken breasts, use about 24 ounces of boneless, skinless chicken thighs for a dark meat option.
This is where your personal tastes and preferences really come into play. It’ll all depend on what kind of flavor you are going for and how much heat you want to bring to your salsa chicken dish.
Definitely. Reduce the cooking time by 30 minutes if using jarred/canned jalapeños.
This recipe makes a great base for tacos, nachos or even enchiladas. You can add your favorite toppings to this flavorful salsa chicken.
- Cook this chicken on low for 5 plus hours.
- Shred the chicken with two forks on a cutting board.
- Place the chicken back in the Crock Pot and cover with salsa and spices again.
This salsa chicken is always great over a plate of cilantro lime rice. No need for fancy tacos, this chicken is full of it’s own flavor.
Can I use a pre-made spice mix?
Substitute your favorite taco seasoning packet for the spices in this recipe.
What toppings go well with salsa chicken?
The salsa itself can be enough of a topping but if you are looking to make this delectable salsa chicken dish fully loaded, there are a ton of topping options you can choose from. Some of our favorites include sour cream, chives, cheese, taco sauce and onions. Jalapenos are always a great option too!
What size slow cooker should I use?
Any size slow cooker will work as long as your chicken quantity isn’t more than the slower cooker can hold. You will also want to make sure you don’t overstuff your slow cooker because it may not cook some of your chicken all the way through.
More Mexican Dinner Recipes We Love
You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how much you love this amazing crockpot salsa chicken and all the flavors that come with it. Everyone will be asking that you bring salsa chicken to all the functions!
More Crockpot Chicken Recipes to Try:
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Crockpot Shredded Chicken
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken and Gravy
- Tuscan Chicken
- Chicken Alfredo Sandwiches
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!