This made from scratch Italian cream cake is all kinds of indulgent! Simple to make, this sheet cake is perfectly moist and sweet and every bite is truly delicious!
Italian Cream Sheet Cake
You are really in for a treat with this recipe!
This Italian cream cake is sweet and rich and it’s so simple to make from scratch. Topped with a cream cheese and pecan frosting, it’s perfect to serve at any occasion.
Why you’ll love this Italian Cream Cake recipe:
How to make Italian Cream Cake with Cream Cheese Pecan Frosting
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Separate the eggs and beat the whites to form stiff peaks.
- Beat together the butter and shortening and add in the sugar before beating in the egg yolks.
- Whisk together the flour and salt.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the buttermilk.
- Add the flour and buttermilk mixes to the butter mix.
- Stir in the vanilla, coconut, pecans and coconut extract and fold in the egg whites.
- Pour the batter into a greased pan and bake.
- Let cool before frosting.
How long does it keep?
Once cooled and frosted, this Italian cream cake can be refrigerated (covered) up to 3 days, although it is best eaten within 24 hours.
Can you freeze it?
If you want to increase the shelf life of the cake it can be frozen with or without frosting, though I find it easier to freeze it without.
It will freeze well for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature if unfrosted and in the fridge overnight if frosted.
What flavor is this cake?
This Italian cream cake is flavored with coconut and vanilla. The coconut works so well with the pecans and cream cheese frosting.
- If cream of coconut isn’t available, use coconut milk or just leave it out and add 1/3 cup sour cream instead of ¼ cup.
- When you add in the beaten egg whites, gently fold them in rather than stir so that you don’t loose the air.
- Let the cake cool completely before frosting. If easier, you can make the cake the day before and frost it on the day of serving.
This Italian cream cake is all kinds of wonderful! It’s a firm favorite in our house and I know you’ll love this too!
More Easy Cake Recipes we Love
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!