We call these OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIP CRINKLES “Oatmeal Doozies” because they are my Mom’s master creation! The perfect crispy outside and chewy inside, the ultimate Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie!
OH MAN…I am SO excited to share this amazing recipe for Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Crinkles with you! I’m calling them that just so you can visualize what they are, but in our house, we call them Oatmeal Doozies. This is my Mom Susie’s recipe, and she goes by Doozie to her grandkids (we fought it…lol), and used to have a cookie delivery business called Cookie Break Cookies.
It was a HUGE success and all of her cookies were different types of “Doozies”…These Oatmeal Doozies were some of our favorites and I’m so honored that she is sharing the recipe with the world!
These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Crinkles (OATMEAL DOOZIES) have just the best consistency. They’re crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside. They’re perfect for dipping in milk or eating under ice cream, or totally cravable on their own. Once you try this recipe, I have a feeling it will be your new favorite. They have just the right amount of spice…a bit spicier than your normal oatmeal cookie. I just can’t wait for you to try them!
I know you guys are overcome with jealousy that I got to grow up with a baker such as my mom in the kitchen. It’s part of the reason I didn’t learn to cook until I was 30. Why would I learn to cook when there was a lady making cookies like this on the regular for me?! I was spoiled with the absolute best cooking on the planet growing up, and these cookies are just the tip of the iceberg. Thanks Mom for sharing your secrets with us all :)
Enjoy!!! (you will, trust me!)
10 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ rounded teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup shortening, I prefer Crisco
- 1 cup dark brown sugar – packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 pkg (12 oz) chocolate chips – I use half Ghiradelli milk chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate
- Medium bowl of cold water
- Medium bowl of cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cover baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift all dry ingredients together into a large bowl and set aside.
- Cream shortening on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Add both sugars and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla – beat 1 minute.
- Add eggs, one-at-a-time and beat on med-low until well incorporated – 1 minute.
- Turn off the mixer and add all of the flour mixture.
- Turn the mixer on low and mix just until the flour mixture is incorporated –
- (30 sec -1 minute).
- Add in the oatmeal and mix until incorporated.
- Roll the dough into 1½ inch (or 1.6 oz) balls.
- Dip each ball in cold water – shake off water then dip in cinnamon sugar.
- Place balls on a parchment covered baking sheet. These cook best by placing 12 balls on the sheet in rows 3 x 4 – evenly spaced.
- Bake 8-12 minutes depending on the oven. They are done when the cookie has flattened out, the center has just settled and the center still looks just a little undercooked. It is always recommended to bake a test cookie.
- Cool on the sheet 1-2 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
This was one of the top selling cookies for my Mom's company, Cookie Break Cookies. The BEST!