BAKED MOZZARELLA CHICKEN ROLLUPS are deceptively healthy and oh so delicious! Cannot get enough!
What’s better than incredibly tasty Italian food made at home?? Semi-healthy incredibly tasty Italian food made at home!! These Baked Mozzarella Chicken Rollups will change your life.
I’m not going to go so far as to say this recipe is healthy…because I like my cheese and I refuse to live without it…but it’s definitely lightened up. It was originally posted on Skinny Taste, and I found it on (my all-time favorite food blog) Pinch of Yum. Both are known for their healthy yet delicious recipes. So I’m going to bask in the glory of a semi-healthy absolutely incredibly tasty homemade Italian feast. I’m a happy girl.
Baked Mozzarella Chicken Rollups are the kind of meal your family will request again and again. My picky father-in-law even threw it a couple compliments!! Its cheesy, flavorful, and oh-so-good. The chicken is stuffed with sauteed spinach and ricotta cheese, rolled up to seal all the goodness in, and then topped with marinara, fresh mozzarella, and chopped basil. All of my favorite flavors have come to dinner.
I made this yesterday, but finished off the leftovers for dinner tonight. Pat is at school, and I’m all alone enjoying one of my favorite creations to date. I’m so sad its all gone. But I’m so glad I know how to make it again! This one is a must-try. Trust me. Make it now.
See all that flavor!!? Yeah. Baked Mozzarella Chicken Rolls just made it to the top of my favorites list. Right up there with the Salmon and the Mediterranean Chicken. My stomach is very glad I’m learning to cook!! Scout is pretty pleased as well (see the wagging tail?) :) Enjoy!
Skinny Baked Mozzarella Chicken Rollups. Stuffed with Ricotta and Spinach. YUM!
30 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 4 large skinless/boneless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise (makes 8 thin pieces of chicken)
- 1 cup whole wheat Italian style bread crumbs
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach (I like "Organic Girl" brand!)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra light olive oil
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup egg whites (I buy them in a carton, "pure egg whites")
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced into 8 pieces
- 2 cups of your favorite marinara sauce
- fresh basil for topping, sliced
- Cut the chicken into 8 pieces (cut each large breast length-wise) and pound the pieces until they are thin and as wide as possible. About 1/3 inch thick.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Chop the spinach and saute it on medium with the garlic and the olive oil for 2-3 minutes or until just barely wilted.
- Combine the sauteed spinach with the ricotta, the rest of the Parmesan cheese, and 3 tablespoons of the egg whites. Place the remaining egg whites in a separate shallow bowl and set aside.
- Make your rollups!: spray the bottom of a large baking dish and preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place one piece of chicken on a flat working surface. Put a spoonful of ricotta-spinach filling right in the middle and roll the chicken up so that the edges meet to form a "seam". Dip the entire chicken roll in egg whites, and then roll it in the breadcrumbs.
- Place in a baking dish, seam side down. Repeat for the remaining 7 pieces of chicken. Don't place the chicken too close together, to allow the breadcrumbs to crisp.
- Pour 1 cup of the marinara sauce around the chicken breasts, not on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, the chicken should be cooked through (white on the inside) and browned on the top. Remove from the oven and cover the chicken with the remaining marinara sauce.
- Place a slice of mozzarella on top of each chicken breast
- Bake for another 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melting. (I also broiled the dish for about 3 minutes (watch closely not to burn!) to make the cheese extra melty)
- Sprinkle with fresh basil.