These Chicken Pita Sandwiches are so easy and deliciously healthy! Pita pockets are stuffed full of shredded chicken, avocado, tomatoes, cheese, and a creamy yogurt sauce. Make these for a quick lunch that everyone will love (even the kids), with just a few simple ingredients.
What’s in these Chicken Pitas
These healthy pita bread sandwiches with chicken make a great lunch idea. The ingredients are simple, and it’s so quick to throw these together.
- Shredded Chicken: Start with fully cooked chicken. You can use rotisserie chicken from the store, or use any leftover chicken you have.
- Pita Pockets: I recommend using the pita pocket sandwich bread you can find at most grocery stores. They’re cut and ready to fill with ingredients!
- Avocados: This adds a fresh flavor and creamy texture. Cut into bite-sized pieces, or mash into a guacamole.
- Plain Greek Yogurt: This healthy ingredient works as a creamy sauce or dressing that makes the best final touch.
- Tomatoes: Cherry tomatoes cut into quarters are the perfect size. But you can use any tomatoes you like.
- Cheese: I like Swiss cheese on these sandwiches, but you can use whatever you have. Pepper jack would add some nice spice.
- Garlic Salt: Mixing this into the yogurt adds a nice savoriness.
- Lemon Juice: A bit of citrus adds acidity and bright flavor.
Instead of (or in addition to) the garlic salt, try adding some other spices or seasonings to the yogurt dressing. This ranch seasoning mix would be so tasty! You could also drizzle sweet chili sauce on your chicken pita sandwich for some heat.
More Pita Sandwich Filling Ideas
You can easily change or add different toppings and ingredients to your chicken avocado pita sandwiches. Fill it up with more veggies and greens, change the sauce, or use another type of cheese. Here are a few more ideas to take things up a notch.
- Fill each pita pocket with baby spinach before adding the other ingredients.
- Spread some homemade hummus into the pita.
- Add some roasted bell peppers (they taste great with fajita seasoning).
- Use Mexican shredded chicken for a different flavor.
- Stuff a few oven-baked sweet potato fries in each sandwich–trust me, it’s delicious!
I love making shredded chicken in a Crockpot, or you can use an Instant Pot. You can also make grilled chicken breast, or any other type, then shred the chicken by pulling two forks through it in opposite directions.
These sandwiches tastes great served cold or warm. You can just warm the chicken briefly on a skillet, or warm the whole sandwich in a sandwich press or skillet.
How to Store Chicken Pita Sandwiches
These pitas are best served directly after assembling, and ingredients should be stored separately when possible. If you try to refrigerate whole sandwiches, they will get soggy fast.
What to Serve with Healthy Chicken Avocado Pitas
These fresh and healthy pita pockets sandwiches have a nice mix of protein and veggies that will keep you pretty full at lunchtime. But I love to serve them along with fresh cut fruit or veggie sticks, tortilla chips, sweet potato chips, or garlic parmesan fries. For a fuller lunch, add a bowl of creamy tomato soup or a Cobb Salad.
Hey excited to make this! Any ideas substituting avocado in the recipe for something else?
Any veggie works!
My boyfriend and I made this last year and loved it. Forgot about it til 6 months ago I made them for my mom. She loved them. Tonite my bf and I are having them for dinner and I’m so excited to eat them again!
Thanks for sharing, Amanda! I am happy to hear you rediscovered it!
THIS LOOKS AMAZING!! HAVE ALL THE INGREDIENTS!!! IM GONNA MAKE THIS FOR LUNCH A FEW DAYS OUTTA THE WEEK !!!!!!!!!!😊😊😊🥰
I hope you enjoy it!!
So so good! Perfect blend of flavors. My 6 and 8 year olds loved it. I will be telling others about this deliciousness
That’s awesome, thanks for stopping by!
so this shredded chicken. Is that something you buy prepared like pulled pork? Already shredded and spiced, or something you make at home. Information just a bit short on this.
It’s fairly easy to make at home! Once the chicken is baked shred with two forks! Even a hand mixer works.
I buy the rot chicken from Costco, pull the chicken off and use for many recipes. Sometimes I will buy 3 at a time and freeze 3 cup seal a meal pack
This is incredibly delicious! My prego cravings are met 🥰
Congratulations :) I’m glad I could help out!!
I am always on the look out for healthy meals that are easy to put together and taste great! These are so delicious!
I love chicken pitas – this is a great recipe!
So much flavor!
So healthy and so delicious. This one is a winner!
Perfect lunch recipe! So so delicious!