This creamy chicken alfredo pasta is made with penne and a tomato alfredo sauce for incredible flavor! For a southwest-inspired mix, penne, chicken, beans, corn, tomatoes, taco seasoning, and more are all cooked in one pan, for the easiest weeknight pasta dinner. Everyone will love this southwest chicken alfredo!
Southwest Chicken Alfredo
This creamy chicken alfredo penne recipe is the perfect easy dinner! The combination of chicken, penne, and alfredo with taco seasoning, beans, and corn makes the most delicious dish.
Creamy and cheesy, this one pan Southwest chicken alfredo pasta is all cooked on the stovetop in a skillet with a few simple, but super tasty ingredients.
This one pan pasta skillet meal is so easy and quick to make. It’s unique, comforting, and irresistible. The entire family will love this one!
Why You’ll Love this Chicken Alfredo Penne Recipe:
- ONE PAN: Make weeknight dinners easier with this one pan recipe. The whole meal is cooked in one skillet, so cooking and cleaning will be a breeze!
- 30 MINUTE MEAL: This chicken alfredo penne pasta can be made in just about 30 minutes, so you can get dinner on the table in a snap!
- CREAMY SOUTHWEST FLAVOR: The combination of heavy cream and cheese to make an alfredo sauce, with the taco seasoning and other ingredients for a southwest-inspired flavor…it’s unique, delicious, and hard to resist!
Weeknight meals are going to be so simple with this chicken alfredo penne!
- Chicken: I recommend using boneless, skinless chicken breast for this recipe. Chop it into small cubes to cook.
- Penne Pasta: Penne is the perfect pasta for this dish!
- Heavy Cream: Heavy cream is what turns the sauce into a creamy alfredo.
- Chicken Broth: Broth adds more flavor than water. I like using low sodium broth.
- Black Beans: Use a can of black beans, drained and rinsed. You could use kidney beans if you prefer.
- Corn: Use a can of corn, drained and rinsed. You could also use frozen corn, just thaw before using.
- Tomatoes: Use a can of diced tomatoes, drained.
- Taco Seasoning: A packet of taco seasoning adds that delicious southwest flavor!
Check the recipe card for the full ingredients list!
How to Make Southwest Chicken Alfredo Penne
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Brown the chicken in the skillet.
- Add the garlic.
- Pour in the cream and broth and stir in the seasonings.
- Add the pasta and boil.
- Add in the corn, beans and tomatoes.
- Cook until pasta is al dente.
- Stir in the cheese and serve!
This chicken alfredo penne is best served as soon as it’s ready, but leftovers will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop to serve.
Yes! Generally, you can boil pasta in liquids other than water, and chicken broth is a great option to add flavor. Here, we’re using broth instead of water to cook the pasta and bring all the ingredients together.
There are plenty of ways to change up this recipe a little bit. Make it a bit spicier by adding jalapenos or chilis. Add some spinach to sneak in more greens. Stir in some broccoli, or add more cheese.
This chicken alfredo penne pasta is so rich, creamy, and filling on it’s own. It makes a great main dish, and definitely works as a lone dish on busy nights. But I do like serving it along with some bread, and maybe some salad or veggies.
- Garlic Pull Apart Rolls
- Spinach Salad with Bacon
- Homemade Texas Toast
- Baked Tomatoes with Mozzarella
- Crockpot Potatoes
- Drain and rinse the corn and black beans before using. They can be quite salty if not rinsed.
- You can also use frozen or fresh corn, instead of canned.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container, and keep in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
- Most ingredients can easily be substituted, if needed.
What pasta should I use for this southwest chicken alfredo?
I think this southwest chicken alfredo pasta works best with penne. It’s easy to eat with all the other ingredients, and it holds both the creamy sauce and chunkier ingredients well.
You can use another type of pasta though! It works well with most short, shaped noodles, like rotini, macaroni, or farfelle. I wouldn’t recommend using fettuccine, or any long noodles.
You can use whole wheat pasta, but the cooking time will increase slightly, or use a a gluten-free pasta if you have an intolerance.
What is tomato alfredo sauce?
Alfredo is a cream-based sauce, traditionally made with heavy cream, butter, and cheese. It’s super creamy and rich in flavor. Tomato alfredo just adds tomatoes into the mix, combining two great sauces with a red-tinged color.
With this chicken alfredo penne recipe, everything is made together in one pan. So the tomatoes, cream, taco seasoning, and everything else creates a unique, southwest inspired flavor.
More Chicken Pasta Recipes We Love
- Creamy Chicken Spaghetti
- Chicken Fettuccine
- Easy Chicken Parmesan
- Chicken Florentine Pasta
- Chicken Enchilada Pasta Bake
This Southwest chicken alfredo penne pasta is one delicious and easy dinner. Being able to cook everything in one skillet on the stovetop makes it a perfect go-to after a busy day.
- Honey Mustard Pork Chops Skillet
- Garlic Butter Steak and Potatoes
- Chicken Cacciatore
- Chicken Parmesan Pasta
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!