White Chicken Chili with cream cheese is the ultimate creamy comfort food! This easy white chili recipe is loaded with everything good and so comforting on a cool night. We top our Creamy White Chicken Chili off with avocado, jalapenos, sour cream, and more. Make this chili on the stovetop or in a Crock pot!
White Chicken Chili Recipe with Cream Cheese
This is the only white chili recipe you’ll ever need. It’s so good, you’ll want to make it every night!
This recipe is SO easy to throw together (just how I like my recipes). You can have the ultimate comfort food on your table in about 30 minutes. And it’s great for freezing and eating later too. You won’t be disappointed, trust me!
You can make this easy white chicken chili with cream cheese (the secret to making it super creamy) on the stove or in a Crockpot. Two easy ways to make one delicious chili! The creaminess makes it unique, and an instant family favorite.
Why You’ll Love this Creamy White Chicken Chili Recipe:
- CREAMY: This chicken chili is SO creamy, thanks to the cream cheese and heavy cream.
- FAMILY FAVORITE: Everyone in the family will love this recipe. It’s comforting, delicious, and always a favorite.
- STOVETOP or CROCKPOT: Make white chicken chili on the stovetop or in a slow cooker! I have a how-to for both recipes.
Award Winning Chicken Chili Recipe
Not only is this a reader favorite recipe, but so many readers have written in to tell me that this Creamy White Chicken Chili won them first prize at their local chili cook offs. I couldn’t be more proud! Let me know if you try it! Want to make this Blue Ribbon Chicken Chili at home? It’s so easy!
This chili recipe makes about 14 servings, so it’s perfect for a crowd. Whether it’s at the cook off or just for the family, everyone will love it!
Ingredients for the Best White Chicken Chili
This white chili recipe is not a healthy low-cal kind of recipe, but I want it in bulk anyways! It’s so cold right now, I’ve got to be shivering off a few calories, right? It’s just the ultimate comfort food and it’s filled with so many delicious ingredients.
To kick the creaminess up a notch, I added heavy cream AND cream cheese to this chili. This recipe is meant for a crowd, but I’m a little selfish with this one. Instead of sharing it with anyone, I like to eat a nice big bowl and then freeze the rest for later. I’m already looking forward to eating it all season long!
- Spices and seasonings
- White Beans
- Fresh Cilantro
- Green Chiles
- Cream Cheese
- …and lots more!
What seasonings should I use in white chicken chili?
This recipe is filled with SO many great things and it all contributes to an amazing flavor. The spices and seasonings are so important to creating the perfect taste!
You’ll need ground cumin, dried oregano, cayenne pepper, and chili powder for this chicken chili.
More Favorite Chicken Recipes:
- Honey Garlic Chicken Breast
- Baked Chicken Breast
- Crockpot Chicken Recipe
- Tuscan Chicken
- Chicken Wings
- Chicken Tacos
- Chicken and Dumplings
- One Pot Chicken Alfredo
How to Make White Chicken Chili on the Stovetop
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Cook onions and garlic in a large pot.
- Add in chicken, broth, beans, chilis, and seasonings. Boil, reduce heat, and simmer.
- Simmer uncovered for 30-45 minutes, or until desired consistency is reached.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the cream cheese and heavy cream.
- Spoon the white chili into bowls, and top with preferred toppings.
- Use a 6 quart dutch oven or large stock pot for this recipe.
- Make sure you use chicken that is already fully cooked. Do not add uncooked chicken into the chili.
- You only need about 30 minutes to fully cook this chili, but letting it simmer a little longer will really enhance the flavor and create a nice consistency.
- This chicken chili recipe can easily be made in a crock pot if you prefer. Check the slow cooker instructions below and in the recipe card.
- Make this your own with your favorite toppings. Add as many or as few as you like!
- Serve white chicken chili with some hearty, crusty bread for a little bit of dipping.
Family Favorite Comfort Soup
A good chili recipe can’t be beat. This recipe is even better! It’s such an important recipe to have in your arsenal for cold winters, or any time you need a comforting meal.
I like to think this Creamy White Chicken Chili is one of the best soup recipes out there, and for me it definitely is! I hope you try it and let me know what you think. We have been making this for years now and it’s a hit every single time!
Creamy Chicken Chili Toppings
If you make this, please don’t forget to add ALL THE TOPPINGS! Go as crazy as possible with your favorites. Here’s what we like to throw on top of our chicken chili.
- tortilla strips
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
Can White Chicken Chili be prepared in a Crockpot?
We have shown you how to make white chicken chili on the stove. It’s a super easy way to make it in 30-45 minutes if you just need to get dinner ready to go. But you can also adapt this recipe to make it in a crock pot! You only need to make a couple of changes.
How to Make White Chicken Chili in a Slow Cooker
- Cook the onions, garlic, olive oil, and lime juice on the stove (as in step 1).
- Add all of the ingredients (except the cream cheese and heavy cream) into a large slow cooker.
- Cook on the low setting for 6-8 hours for a nice slow simmer, or on high for 2-4 hours to speed it up a bit.
- Once it gets to your preferred thickness, stir in the cream cheese until fully melted, and then stir in the heavy cream.
Now it’s ready to serve with all your favorite toppings. Whether you make it on the stove or in a crockpot, it’s sure to please!
Use COOKED chicken in this chili. A rotisserie chicken works great for an easy option, or make a simple chicken breast ahead of time.
Let the chili simmer a little longer if you want to make it thicker. While you could mix in a bit of flour or cornstarch, I find that this mix of ingredients already creates a nice thick consistency.
It tastes amazing either way! If you want to let this simmer all day, use the slow cooker. If you need it ready ASAP, make it on the stove.
White chili is made with white beans, and usually has chicken instead of beef. Regular (red) chili also uses tomatoes, whereas white chili does not.
Yes, you could swap out turkey in place of chicken if you prefer. I also recommend trying this Turkey White Bean Chili.
This recipe calls for Great Northern Beans. You can also use cannellini beans.
I added cream cheese and heavy cream to make this chili super creamy and smooth.
Yes, you can store leftovers in the freezer up to 3 months. I recommend separating the chili into smaller portions so you can take one container out to reheat at a time.
Ultimate Winter Comfort Food
I make it no secret that my Mom’s chili is the Best Chili Recipe Ever…but this Creamy White Chicken Chili is a close second. Definitely the best as far as white chili recipes go.
I go back and forth on which one to take to chili cook-offs. This recipe has won a few awards for readers and nothing makes me happier!
I hope this makes all of your comfort food dreams come true. I know it did mine!
More Soups & Chili
If you love this White Chicken Chili Recipe, be sure to try these other soups and chilis we love on a cold night.
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!