Compensation for this post was provided by Cobblestone Bread Co.™ and Big Green Egg® via AOL Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Cobblestone Bread Co.™, Big Green Egg®, or AOL.
This Stuffed Caprese Chicken Sandwich is our favorite Summer grill recipe! Chicken breasts stuffed with fresh mozzarella, basil, and tomato, marinated in balsamic reduction. AMAZING!
I love Summer aka GRILLING SEASON for so many reasons. I love how the amazing smells fill the air, love how easy it is to cook for a crowd, and REALLY love that Pat does most of the grilling! I can just sit back, relax, drink some Strawberry Margarita Punch, and enjoy the show. I may be the one with a cooking blog, but Pat is the grill master. I’m a lucky lady! Our favorite quick and easy Summer dinner (that wows EVERY time) are Stuffed Caprese Chicken Sandwiches! We both are slightly obsessed with caprese flavors (I’ve made everything from White Chicken Caprese Lasagna to Peach Caprese Stacks!), and putting it all into an amazing chicken sandwich is right up our alley! Favorite Summer Grilling recipe ever! (Be sure to check out our other favorite Easy Caprese Recipe!)
Grilling a Stuffed Caprese Chicken Sandwich for us always requires two must-haves; Cobblestone Bread Co.™ and our Big Green Egg®! If you’re grilling without either one, you are grilling all wrong! There is no better bun, perfect for Summer, than Cobblestone Bread Co.™. Their buns are always fresh, taste homemade, and full of flavor. With so many options (we love the Sesame Twist, Corn Dusted Kaiser, and Toasted Onion the best for these sandwiches!) you can’t go wrong. Pop them on the Big Green Egg® (with some LEMON BUTTER ASPARAGUS!) to get them nice and toasty and you’re REALLY in business. Obsessed isn’t a strong enough word for how I feel about mine. It’s super hot in minutes, so versatile (grill or smoke meats, you can do it ALL on the BGE!) and nothing beats that charcoal flavor. It’s not Summer unless you can taste that smoke!
Scout is pretty into grilling too, if you can’t tell. Pat’s sous chef is always near by, smiling, hoping for some leftovers. Not tonight girl, these Stuffed Caprese Chicken Sandwiches are just too good!
So fire up your Big Green Egg® and get to grilling! I hope you love this Stuffed Caprese Chicken Sandwich as much as we do! Here’s to winning Summer one recipe at a time!
30 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
- 4 large slices tomato
- 8 small slices fresh whole milk mozzarella
- 8 large leaves fresh basil
- 4 Cobblestone Bread Co.™ hamburger buns (we used the Sesame Twist…yum!)
- In a small saucepan, heat the vinegar and honey over medium/high heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, stirring regularly. When it starts to thicken and has reduced by about half (approximately 10 minutes), remove from the heat and set aside.
- Season each chicken breast with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Cut each breast lengthwise, but not all the way, forming a “pita” shape. This is where you will place the mozzarella, basil, and tomato later.
- Place the chicken in two large ziplock bags and pour some of the balsamic reduction into each bag, reserving a small amount for garnish. Allow to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before grilling.
- When ready to grill, spray your cooking grid with non-stick spray or brush with canola oil. Stuff each chicken with one slice tomato, 2 leaves basil, and 2 slices fresh mozzarella. Use a toothpick to seal the opening if desired, this will make flipping the chicken easier.
- Grill the chicken over medium/high heat, approximately 450 degrees, for 5-7 minutes on each side or until chicken is cooked through. This will determine on the thickness of the chicken you picked. When the chicken is white throughout, it’s done!
- Place chicken onto the bottom bun and drizzle with a bit more of the reserved balsamic reduction. Top with the top part of the bun.
I’ve partnered with Cobblestone Bread Co. and Big Green Egg to create this post! As always, all opinions are 100% my own. Thanks for always supporting the brands that help support The Cookie Rookie. Enjoy!