Thanksgiving pies are the secret to a successful holiday feast. As long as you have the best dessert ready to serve after dinner, everyone will be more than happy. Find traditional pies (pumpkin, pecan, apple, and more), along with some more unique ideas to change things up. These pie recipes are all so easy and delicious!
I look forward to all the different types of pies and desserts on holidays–it’s my favorite way to indulge! I want the pumpkin pies, the apple pies, the sweet potato pies, the pecan pies, the chocolate pies…absolutely every kind of pie.
I’ve got recipes and ideas for ALL of the best Thanksgiving pie recipes, so you can pick your favorite(s) and have them ready for the big holiday.
Traditional Thanksgiving Pies
You can never go wrong with the classics! These traditional pie recipes are perfect for Thanksgiving. Everyone will love to see their favorites on the table.
- Brown Sugar Pumpkin Pie: Pumpkin pie is a must on Thanksgiving! This one is easy to make, and a bit of brown sugar gives it a nice twist.
- Homemade Apple Pie: A fresh, homemade apple pie is the best way to celebrate everyone’s favorite Fall holiday. The apple filling is so comforting!
- Classic Pecan Pie: The flavor and crunch of pecans is what makes this pie irresistible. This is one of those traditional pies that everyone will be happy to see.
- Sweet Potato Pie: Sweeten up some of those mashed sweet potatoes, add a crunchy walnut topping, and you’ve got a delicious pie ready for dessert!
- French Silk Pie: A rich, decadent chocolate filling is the perfect treat post-dinner. It’s always a hit on holidays!
- Homemade Cherry Pie: Tart cherries are flavored and sweetened to create the most delicious pie filling. The lattice pattern pie crust will impress all your guests, but it’s so simple to do!
- Buttermilk Pie: This creamy custard pie has such a simple yet rich flavor. It’s perfectly sweet, and the crust is perfectly flakey!
Chocolate Pies and Desserts
For all the chocolate lovers out there, these pies are a must. Rich, indulgent, and absolutely delicious!
- Chocolate Cream Pie: This decadent and creamy chocolate pie is exactly what every chocolate lover hopes to see on the dessert table!
- Chocolate Pecan Pie: If you love pecan pie, but also have a craving for chocolate, this pie recipe is the solution. A chocolate bourbon filling and toasted pecans combine to make such a tasty dessert!
- Fudge Brownie Pie: Get the rich, fudge-y flavor and chewy texture of brownies, in the form of a pie. Pecans are mixed in for a little bit of crunch, and this become just delectable.
- Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream Pie: You only need 5 ingredients to make this chocolate peanut butter dessert. Make it ahead of Thanksgiving, and keep it in the freezer until you’re ready to serve it.
- Banana Fudge Pie: A graham cracker crust is layered up with chocolate ganache and banana pudding, and there’s no baking required. Plus it’s freezer-friendly, so you can make it ahead of Thanksgiving.
- Chocolate Tart: An Oreo cookie crust, dark chocolate filling, and a sprinkle of sea salt makes the most decadent chocolate dessert! Refrigerate overnight so that it’s ready to serve when guests arrive.
More Pie Recipes for Thanksgiving
There’s no shortage of easy pies to make. Family, friends, and all of your holiday guests will love these after dinner.
- Butterscotch Pie: Traditional butterscotch is a great option for holidays. The slightly chewy filling with lots of fluffy whipped cream is such a nice mix.
- Banana Cream Pie: Layers of creamy banana custard and fresh sliced bananas infuse this pie with so much fruity flavor. Prep everything ahead of time, then assemble and bake to serve!
- Lemon Meringue Pie: The lemon filling is perfectly tart and tangy, and the meringue topping is so soft and chewy. It’s a beautiful dessert for Thanksgiving dinner!
- Shoofly Pie: Brown sugar and ginger make a great flavor balance to the chocolate molasses filling. This pie can be made ahead of time, so it’s ready for the holiday!
- Sour Cream Lemon Pie: A saltine cracker crust, zesty lemon filling, and sour cream topping come together to create a pie that is surprising yet delicious. It has such a unique mix of flavors for something a little different.
- Peanut Butter Pie: A chocolate graham cracker crust and creamy peanut butter filling make for a delicious pie recipe that everyone is sure to love!
- Sour Cream Raisin Pie: Cinnamon raisin is such a warm and comforting flavor, it’ll fit right in on Thanksgiving! The sour cream lends moisture and creaminess to the filling.
Unique Pie Ideas
Try something different this holiday season! New twists on classic pies, ice cream pies, and individual-sized desserts are all fun options.
- Crockpot Pecan Pie: Make a classic pie in your crockpot! This recipe frees up the oven, so you can make dessert along with the rest of the feast.
- Vegan Pumpkin Pie: Make a dairy-free pumpkin pie to make sure everyone can enjoy it! It’s just as tasty, and just as festive.
- Caramel Apple Freezer Pie: Caramel ice cream, cider, and apple pie filling create a delicious caramel apple flavor. This freezer pie is so easy to make, and can be made days ahead of time.
- Mint Chocolate Ice Cream Pie: Ice cream pie is a nice change from the typical Thanksgiving desserts, and mint chocolate is a flavor everyone will love!
- Mini Apple Pie Taco Boats: These mini desserts are a unique option for Thanksgiving, but still have the classic apple pie flavor. These are great for individual servings, and the kids will absolutely love them!
- Blueberry Pie Bars: Blueberry pie in the form of dessert bars. They’re easy to eat, serve, and share!
Some of the most traditional options are pumpkin pie, apple pie, sweet potato pie, pecan pie, and chocolate pie.
I always have 2 to start with, so that guests have options. But for groups over 10 people, 3-4 pies gives plenty of options, plus extras for anyone who goes for seconds.
Pies are the perfect dessert because you can easily make them ahead of time. Prepare them, bake them, and then store them until you’re ready to serve dessert. It’s a great thing to make the day before Thanksgiving, so they’re still fresh, but you don’t have to make them the day of.
Any pies made with eggs (custard and cream pies, pumpkin pie) need to be refrigerated after baking. So make sure you store them in the refrigerator. Fruit pies are fine to keep at room temperature for 2 days, and should be refrigerated if you need to keep them a bit longer.
The best way to keep pies fresh for Thanksgiving is to make sure you store them correctly. Pies being stored at room temperature should be wrapped in plastic wrap or foil. Egg and dairy based pies should be refrigerated immediately (after cooling).
Again, egg and dairy based pies should be stored in the refrigerator as soon as possible. If one accidentally gets left out overnight, you’ll need to toss it. But apple pies and other fruit pies are fine to leave out for a couple of days!
These recipes are meant to be as EASY as possible, so many start with a pre-made pie crust. But you can make your own crust if you prefer! Use this homemade pie crust recipe, or this graham cracker crust.
The best way to reheat already baked pies is to place them on a baking sheet and reheat them in the oven. This helps keep the crust nice and crisp, while evenly reheating the filling. The details will depend on your pie (type and size), but typically your oven should be set between 200°F and 350°F for warming. Of course, if you just want to quickly heat up a single slice of pie for yourself the day after Thanksgiving, 10-20 seconds in the microwave should do the trick!
Now that you have a few of the best Thanksgiving pie recipes on your menu, you really can’t go wrong!
More Thanksgiving Recipes
There’s a lot of cooking to do ahead of the holiday feast, but we’ve got you covered with tons of easy recipes! Find plenty of ideas for dinner and dessert, all in one place.